Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Balancing the Lathe.

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools

Balancing the Lathe.

Hello,
    I have recently had to strip my lathe headstock down as there was a leak behind the front spindle bearing retainer. It was a good time to do a through clean and fit magnets in the oilways and scatter a few around the floor as well. While I had the spindle out I carved some lines in it, something I had been wanting to do for a while now.
    Of course once I had the spindle set up on the mill I realised that I needed to make an engraving tool - for which I needed a lathe.........

After a coffee and a think I tried a Dormer BS 2 Centre Drill running at the max. mill speed of 1600 r.p.m. with a D.O.C. of 0.25 mm and I was quite happy with the result. The table stops were set for each length. First all the 10 degree marks followed by the 5 degree and then the 1 degree marks. ​I also carved a recess in the bearing retainer to make it easier to see the markings.
    I still have a brake to make and will be looking at a disk brake off a Mountain bike which I will fit to the rear spider.

Still having a problem uploading pictures, probably due to resolution so I will put them in my dropbox and post a link later.

Back together and I checked the alignment while I was at it, all good.

Now what caused the leak? It was loose capscrews. I suppose I could have tightened them but if oil is coming past a gasket it needs a proper clean. Why did the screws come loose? An annoying vibration had developed at certain r.p.m. very small and I just hadn't had time to address it. Turns out it was my 5-Jaw chuck out of balance and when I weighed the jaws I had measurements of 635.2, 635.7, 635.8 & 640.6 grams and of course the lightest and heaviest were opposite each other. I think I had mixed them up sometime when swapping from external to internal gripping.
    Turns out there is a very small imbalance in the chuck body as well.

That night I decided to have a look at YouTube and I think I may be being watched as one of the first things to pop up was a video on balancing a lathe chuck!
    The two videos are posted below. This works and you do not need a 'smart 'phone' to do it either although I am sure that would help.

Quick, easy & effective.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to NortonDommi For This Useful Post:

asterix (Sep 26, 2021), Christophe Mineau (Sep 21, 2021), Floradawg (Sep 21, 2021), Frank S (Sep 21, 2021), freddo4 (Sep 25, 2021), johncg (Sep 22, 2021), mccwho (Sep 21, 2021), mwmkravchenko (Sep 22, 2021), nova_robotics (Sep 24, 2021), rarmintrout (Sep 21, 2021), shytalk48 (Sep 21, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Sep 21, 2021)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by NortonDommi; Sep 20, 2021 at 03:44 AM.

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools

Thanks
    Norton, this may be the answer to my issues!  Excellent presentation, clear and precise explanations, and a cool cat!  I am just looking for the application you used!  Name or link would be appreciated!  Thanks again!

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Hi Rarmintrout,
    I liked the videos as well, I don't have a 'smart 'phone' but found that I could just use a DTI against the headstock, didn't lift the lathe either.
    The link to the on-line page is in the video description but here it is anyway:
    https://www.emachineshop.com/dynamic...eel-balancing/

Super easy to use. I used a selection on Neodymium magnets bought On-line. Thinking about a dedicated spindle for mounting flywheels, mower blades etc.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NortonDommi For This Useful Post:

rarmintrout (Sep 22, 2021)

Thread Information