Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coil winding machine - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,999 Times in 9,639 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Sep 18, 2021), Ralphxyz (Sep 22, 2021)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Winding of a toroidal transformer. A few secondaries. And a bit of a booboo on the last secondary lead. Don't think it will make a useless transformer but I do not know a huge amount about proper winding either.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:

Altair (Sep 19, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    Winding of a toroidal transformer. A few secondaries. And a bit of a booboo on the last secondary lead. Don't think it will make a useless transformer but I do not know a huge amount about proper winding either.
    The only thing it can possibly cause is additional stress on the terminus of the leads coming out of that final secondary but it would appear he purposefully allowed the 3 in hand primary coil to lap over leads .
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    The only thing it can possibly cause is additional stress on the terminus of the leads coming out of that final secondary but it would appear he purposefully allowed the 3 in hand primary coil to lap over leads .
    I have to agree. A person with the dexterity to correctly set the other windings as they were done would be careful to do what was required.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I have to agree. A person with the dexterity to correctly set the other windings as they were done would be careful to do what was required.
    I would like a better look at the winding machine though.
    I once wound a toroidal transformer by hand. trust me it is no fun. IE transformers are easy just wind the coils around a sq. or rectangular wooden peg then stuff in the laminate plates and tack weld the I to them. However a toroidal is vastly more efficient than an IE transformer. the magnetic field is more concentrated yielding a higher tesla they use far less iron in the core than the laminate type and one major plus is there is lower noise

Thanks
    Oops, I saw one mistakenly wound coil winding on the last lead. The peron was taking great care to make sure only one winding went between each lead except that last lead got 2 windings and partially trapped underneath that winding.
    Can anybody say, "Redo it".

Thanks
    I would like a better look at the winding machine though.
    I once wound a toroidal transformer by hand. trust me it is no fun. IE transformers are easy just wind the coils around a sq. or rectangular wooden peg then stuff in the laminate plates and tack weld the I to them. However a toroidal is vastly more efficient than an IE transformer. the magnetic field is more concentrated yielding a higher tesla they use far less iron in the core than the laminate type and one major plus is there is lower noise
    Toroidally wound transformers have benefits. Mostly the elctromagnetic noise from them is very controlled and even in it's radiation around the transformer. They are a pain to wind by hand that I know first hand. Try winding little iron core inductors! Even more fun. EI core is the easiest. FOr audio work EI has the benefit of filtering out all the AM radio and Ham radio interference. A toroidial is a wide bandwidth transformer. Not so good at the filtering. Needs external filtering.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Toroidally wound transformers have benefits. Mostly the elctromagnetic noise from them is very controlled and even in it's radiation around the transformer. They are a pain to wind by hand that I know first hand. Try winding little iron core inductors! Even more fun. EI core is the easiest. FOr audio work EI has the benefit of filtering out all the AM radio and Ham radio interference. A toroidal is a wide bandwidth transformer. Not so good at the filtering. Needs external filtering.
    If you are experiencing interference from a Ham then they are a hack not a real operator. Hams pride themselves on clean frequency usage However if you are in direct alignment with someone's ground plane that could be some of what you are experiencing, in noise. call the operator up and explain that you are having some noise issues possibly caused by their equipment. I can almost assure you they will be more than receptive to trying to correct the issue. Noise is their enemy as well because it drains power from their transmissions. Hams love to be able to talk all the way around the world in any direction using the lowest possible power output.

Thanks
    If you are experiencing interference from a Ham then they are a hack not a real operator. Hams pride themselves on clean frequency usage However if you are in direct alignment with someone's ground plane that could be some of what you are experiencing, in noise. call the operator up and explain that you are having some noise issues possibly caused by their equipment. I can almost assure you they will be more than receptive to trying to correct the issue. Noise is their enemy as well because it drains power from their transmissions. Hams love to be able to talk all the way around the world in any direction using the lowest possible power output.
    As I get older I keep promising myself to try setting up a simple HAM system. I do not blame any operator. Radio interference has been around for some time. And is getting a little easier to work around in some circuitry due to the shift in frequency bands that are used now. TV old time TV that is is gone.

So many things I promise to do. Make a harpsichord, pick up the French Horn again... I don't have time to die I'm to busy!

I'm probably young enough to be your son Frank. But one stark fact has hit me recently. Been working for 34 years solid. There aren't 34 left. Gotta make what I have left count!

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    As I get older I keep promising myself to try setting up a simple HAM system. I do not blame any operator. Radio interference has been around for some time. And is getting a little easier to work around in some circuitry due to the shift in frequency bands that are used now. TV old time TV that is is gone.

So many things I promise to do. Make a harpsichord, pick up the French Horn again... I don't have time to die I'm to busy!

I'm probably young enough to be your son Frank. But one stark fact has hit me recently. Been working for 34 years solid. There aren't 34 left. Gotta make what I have left count!
    I have a solid 55 years of work experience, and sometimes wonder why I don't just go fishing instead of adding more projects to my plate. The problem with that though is I would figure out a way to make it a full time job and I don't need another full time job with all of theses projects I already have.

Thread Information