Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Man changing tire hit by car - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,240 Times in 9,719 Posts

Man changing tire hit by car - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Sep 22, 2021), carloski (Sep 21, 2021), EnginePaul (Sep 23, 2021), Rangi (Sep 22, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    People who are too dumb to drive on a flat to a safe place to pull off or at least get off to the side of the road as possible then set waring triangles out at 25 50 and 75 feet behind their vehicles, are flirting with death.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Sep 21, 2021)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    I used to hate going to a breakdown on a motorway at night, just about guarantee it would be right at a choke point. The fact is that 99% of people sort of steering motor vehicles shouldn't be. Gives me chills just thinking about it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NortonDommi For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (Sep 23, 2021), that_other_guy (Sep 24, 2021)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    I used to hate going to a breakdown on a motorway at night, just about guarantee it would be right at a choke point. The fact is that 99% of people sort of steering motor vehicles shouldn't be. Gives me chills just thinking about it.
    The only time I operated recovery vehicles was while in the Army.
    I can sympathize with the recovery professionals though having to deal with traffic on the side of a motorway.
    And I have had my share of late night vehicle breakdowns, daytime too for that matter. Choke points as you mentioned always seem to be breakdown magnets for some reason. All the more reason why I carry 2 sets of commercial vehicle warning triangles Not that they will prevent the errant dumb duck from plowing into you but they will help to warn the mildly observant left seater, right seater for my friends in some countries

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    The only time I operated recovery vehicles was while in the Army.
    I can sympathize with the recovery professionals though having to deal with traffic on the side of a motorway.
    And I have had my share of late night vehicle breakdowns, daytime too for that matter. Choke points as you mentioned always seem to be breakdown magnets for some reason. All the more reason why I carry 2 sets of commercial vehicle warning triangles Not that they will prevent the errant dumb duck from plowing into you but they will help to warn the mildly observant left seater, right seater for my friends in some countries
    Having done roadside recovery, and front-line Ambulance work on the road at accidents most people have little idea just how fast things can go wrong, warning lights attract the eye and draw many closer (target fixation) to you, if it's still running and mobile keeping moving at reduced speed until you can get off the road is much safer than just stopping and trying to fix it in live traffic.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NeiljohnUK For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (Sep 23, 2021), NortonDommi (Sep 28, 2021), that_other_guy (Sep 24, 2021)

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    No hazard lights, still partially in the traffic lane on an icy surface. I can almost see the blue glow on the face of the driver that hit him. Neither of these people should have been given driving privileges!

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NeiljohnUK View Post
    Having done roadside recovery, and front-line Ambulance work on the road at accidents most people have little idea just how fast things can go wrong, warning lights attract the eye and draw many closer (target fixation) to you, if it's still running and mobile keeping moving at reduced speed until you can get off the road is much safer than just stopping and trying to fix it in live traffic.
    For a year and a half I was assigned to A MP company Motor-pool as assistant MTR. SGT. but everybody in that MP company E8 and below pulled 2 man night patrol in the City of San Antonio.
    Target fixation is real. One night we were called to assist SAPD in an accident involving A military person and a civilian on Interstate loop 410 our unit was parked well to the side of the highway but SAPD was parked so as to protect the officer and us from traffic Her cruiser was struck by a tour bus what a mess that night turned out to be. A non injury fender bender turned into a 5 ambulance Highway blocking 2 hour long debacle. No fatalities but several injuries serious enough for transport
    In today's world with the super bright flashing emergency lights it is even worse since I believe the lights blind people and are more dangerous than just having the old revolving bubble lights
    Last edited by Frank S; Sep 22, 2021 at 07:44 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

NeiljohnUK (Sep 24, 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    In today's world with the super bright flashing emergency lights it is even worse since I believe the lights blind people and are more dangerous than just having the old revolving bubble lights

I have had this exact thought. Coming up on an emergency or service vehicle on the side of the road on a dark night, your dark-acclimated eyes are assaulted by a bunch of blinding strobes. It often makes any person out on the road very difficult to see, particularly a police officer in a dark blue uniform. In some cases it's near disorienting.

A few flashing or rotating lights is one thing, a car covered with many flashing strobes is something else entirely. I'm not sure it makes sense.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to clavius For This Useful Post:

NeiljohnUK (Sep 24, 2021)

Supporting Member TheElderBrother's Avatar
    Thanks
    I know an attorney who stopped to help at a car wreck, and got clipped by a drunk driver. He lost a leg in the bargain.

I broke my back in a wreck when a meth-addled repo man driving a medium weight wrecker plowed into me, sitting still in bumper to pumper traffic.

I spent some of my youth riding ambulances, and my cumulative experience tells me that some people are selfish assholes, others are incompetent ****wits, and that the Venn diagram of the two groups overlaps considerably.

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by TheElderBrother View Post

I spent some of my youth riding ambulances, and my cumulative experience tells me that some people are selfish assholes, others are incompetent ****wits, and that the Venn diagram of the two groups overlaps considerably.
    One of the better descriptions I have ever heard. Thanks for that.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information