Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Air cargo storage shed

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Air cargo storage shed

This air cargo container has been in my way for 6 years. It wasn't much use for storing stuff in because there is no support under the 1/4" thick aluminum floor.
    Also I have part of a refinery set up to convert used motor oil into diesel or to make bio diesel out of vegetable oil but never had a good place to put it all together. the unit will require about 60 sq foot of floor space. So this morning while moving the cargo container out of my way for the umpteenth time in 6 years it suddenly went DING DING in my mind why not kill several birds at the same time
    I leveled of an area at the end of some existing sheds about 200 feet from the house by back filling with clay sand then to get rid of a bunch of useless old cross ties no longer suitable for fence posts from a couple of old fences I tore down yesterday.
    The cross ties were used to make a matt for the air cargo box
    Air cargo storage shed-img_20210926_110826rf.jpg

Air cargo storage shed-img_20210926_110849rf.jpg

Air cargo storage shed-img_20210926_112333rf.jpg
    Now I have an excuse to set up my refinery in its own fully self contained critter resistant building far enough away from the house or the shop and down wind most of the year so we won't have to put up with the associated smell of cooking off the diesel
    Air cargo storage shed-img_20210926_112449rf.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Frank S; Sep 26, 2021 at 10:09 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Sep 28, 2021), bruce.desertrat (Sep 27, 2021), carloski (Sep 27, 2021), mwmkravchenko (Sep 28, 2021), rebuilder1954 (Oct 3, 2021), rgsparber (Sep 28, 2021), rlm98253 (Nov 26, 2023), Sleykin (Oct 7, 2021), sossol (Sep 27, 2021), TheElderBrother (Oct 3, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Sep 29, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Storage Shed to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    I have a random junk collection, but it pales next to yours, Frank!

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    How much to those containers cost? It had never occurred to me that they'd make great sheds.

Neil

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Neil I have no idea what they would sell for this one was bought at an auction where no one had any idea what the potential of one could be I think I got it for a hundred bucks, but would have gladly paid 3 times that.
    The floor is 1 piece smoot 1/4" thick aluminum. Sitting on the cross ties I figure it will be more than suitable for what I intend to do with it since the refinery system will weight about 800 lbs once I refurbish and up grade from what I got with the 600 gallons of oil. The guy had about the crudest set ups I have ever seen undersized centrifuge dodgy filtration and inadequate heating leaky pumps and a very labor intensive way of processing. He could only achieve a dark brown diesel like fuel and in no way was able to make bio diesel out of used vegetable oils since there was no provision for a blending step.
    It might take me another year to put together a system I will be comfortable with to run the diesel in a later model pickup but what he had would run in an older farm tractor just fine or my 90's era pickups

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce.desertrat View Post
    "random junk collection"
    That was probably a typo. I'm sure you meant "parts inventory"! LOL!

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeVanGeaux View Post
    That was probably a typo. I'm sure you meant "parts inventory"! LOL!
    Hey one man's junk is another man's treasures.
    Me, I have a lot of junky treasures, or is it treasured junk? I can never decide which.

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Treasured junk is the stuff you find a use or need for one week after disposing of it :-)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bruce.desertrat For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Sep 28, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce.desertrat View Post
    Treasured junk is the stuff you find a use or need for one week after disposing of it :-)
    I used to build small commercial kitchens, and I recall one time whilst doing one that the guy said he could use an old, but never used hand basin that I had, I said sure, it's yours, well he put it out in the back yard of the shop and left it there for use in due course. I'd had it stored for about 2 years, he had it for about 1 year. The day before I was due to fit it he went to the local hardware to buy taps, but because he got there at 3 minutes to closing time they said come back in the morning. That night, someone stole it.

Thanks
    Does anyone have any idea what a shipping container would cost ? I would like to put one on my property if I could get the proper permit...sooo much stuff, and not enough room.

Thread Information