Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: oil spillage mat

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools

oil spillage mat

In thinking about setting up my used oil to diesel conversion system I needed a place to store the 650 gallons of used oil that I have, and to have it located as close as possible to the conversion system.
    T accomplish this I decided to add more of the red clay sand behind the Air cargo container then create a spillage mat to prevent minor spills from seeping into the ground.
    After leveling the area with the clay sand I placed a double layer of 6 mil plastic on the ground then added a folded tarp on top of that. The mat is large enough to allow me to fold up all 4 sides then build a containment berm around it. I don't anticipate any major spills but past experience has shown me to plan for the worst and hope for the best. No matter how careful a person is there always seems to be some amount of spillage when dealing with oil.
    oil spillage mat-img_20210926_143520oil.jpg
    oil spillage mat-img_20210926_144101oil.jpg
    oil spillage mat-img_20210926_171301oil.jpg
    Later on I will construct a roof over the barrels but for now a tarp will suffice
    oil spillage mat-img_20210926_171817oil.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Sep 28, 2021), ranald (Oct 3, 2021), Slim-123 (Sep 29, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Sep 29, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Oil Spillage Mat to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 605 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Whatcha doin' with 650 gallons of used oil?

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    Whatcha doin' with 650 gallons of used oil?
    About 6 or 7 years ago I bought a 9 HP lister diesel engine part of the conditions of the sale was I took the oil and the conversion set up. What started out as just over 500 gallons has increased through the years from oil changes I have done I have another barrel about half full behind the shop which will probably be full by spring or before SO, I either need to knuckle up and start converting the oil into diesel or buy more barrels.
    I use about 200 gallons of diesel a year in my pickup backhoe and tractors.
    If I use the Lister to power a 5 KW ST generator head that will provide all the energy necessary to run the equipment coupled with using the exhaust heat and the heat from the cooling system. for the preheater to evaporate any water out of the oil this lowers the amount of energy required to make the diesel.
    the Lister put out 9 HP at 600 RPM and consumes roughly 1 qt of fuel per hour at full load. With the system upgrades I plan on doing it should only require around 3500watts. Or about 60% load on the engine on average.
    There are as many different ways to process used oil into diesel as Pelosi has flavors of ice cream

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 605 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Dammit. There's a new internet rabbit hole to go down. Waste motor oil into diesel.

Some mechanic shops have waste oil heaters around here. They heat their shops in the winter by burning used motor oil as fuel oil directly.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    Dammit. There's a new internet rabbit hole to go down. Waste motor oil into diesel.

Some mechanic shops have waste oil heaters around here. They heat their shops in the winter by burning used motor oil as fuel oil directly.
    Back in the day when we changed the oil in our tractors or trucks we would simply pour it straight into the fuel tank Who cared if the old trucks smoke was a little blacker when pulling hard, 9 gallons of motor oil to 200 gallons of diesel didn't' seem to hurt anything, plus it cut down on having to dispose it.
    But motor oils have so many additives in them today which trap the particulates, holding them in suspension then filtered out fairly well as long as the engine oil is at run temps the change intervals are greatly extended.
    Bob regularly goes 25,000 miles between changes his engine has the equivalent of 1.8 million miles on it and has never had a bearing or piston and rings change done to it. However I had installed an OPS system on it when it only had 500,000 miles this 2 filter system in conjunction with the 2 primary filters and the centrifuge basically cleans the oil down to under 1 micron sized contaminants
    Last edited by Frank S; Sep 28, 2021 at 10:30 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

that_other_guy (Oct 1, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Sep 29, 2021)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I know a guy in Oklahoma with a Bio diesel plant in the garage of his home, and has been making his own bio"D" out of deep fryer oil for 10 years.
    Personally I respect my house insurance rates a little more than that.
    My understanding of his process is that he blends his bio"D" with pump diesel at a 50/50 ratio and runs a pre heater on his fuel line in his 2017 F350.
    With used motor oils and other oils such as hydraulic oil and differential fluids the ratios can approach 90/10 oil to diesel especially for older mechanical injection systems

Thanks
    Но только как временная мера. Крыша нужна обязательно.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim-123 View Post
    Но только как временная мера. Крыша нужна обязательно.
    Yes absolutely I will have to add a roof over the oil drums

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Back in the day when we changed the oil in our tractors or trucks we would simply pour it straight into the fuel tank Who cared if the old trucks smoke was a little blacker when pulling hard, 9 gallons of motor oil to 200 gallons of diesel didn't' seem to hurt anything, plus it cut down on having to dispose it.
    But motor oils have so many additives in them today which trap the particulates, holding them in suspension then filtered out fairly well as long as the engine oil is at run temps the change intervals are greatly extended.
    Bob regularly goes 25,000 miles between changes his engine has the equivalent of 1.8 million miles on it and has never had a bearing or piston and rings change done to it. However I had installed an OPS system on it when it only had 500,000 miles this 2 filter system in conjunction with the 2 primary filters and the centrifuge basically cleans the oil down to under 1 micron sized contaminants
    Back during the 70s and 80s, I regularly added outboard 2stroke fuel to my 5 litre V8s fuel/gas tank. They would run clean as a whistle and this avoided the 2stroke going off if I didn't run the boat for some months. A local chap on the Sunshine coast of Queensland was interviewed a couple of decades back as he was using used cooking oil (from takeaway fish and chip venues) , free to him as the vendors didn't have to pay for trade waste. He was driving upmarket Mercedes diesel vehicles.
    cheers

Thread Information