Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: lathe chuck key mod

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

lathe chuck key mod

I don't know why I hadn't done this to the chuck key on this lathe a long time ago.
    If there is one thing around a lathe that is always in the same place when you put it down, is the chuck key.
    Mine hangs in a short pipe welded to the skirt of the swarth/ coolant tray. It is always within easy reach and never misplaced, not true for say a combination wrench or an adjustable although most of mine are hanging on a wall somewhere. I've always just kept 1 laying somewhere around the lathe for changing the position of the tool post, usually cluttering up the swarth tray or on the near by parts table. Also either never within easy reach or in the way of other things.
    So why not end that problem once and for all.
    What I did was weld a Chineseium 1 1/8 socket to the chuck key at the cross. Now a tool to loosen and tighten the tool post top nut is right at hand because the socket to fit the nut will never wander off like a combi. wrench or an adjustable.Plus as an added bonus the socket makes it much easier to pick up the chuck key out of its dedicated spot.
    lathe chuck key mod-img_20211019_171312ck.jpg

lathe chuck key mod-img_20211019_172025ck.jpg

lathe chuck key mod-img_20211019_172314ck.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Oct 21, 2021), HobieDave (Oct 21, 2021), Home-PC (Oct 20, 2021), Jon (Oct 22, 2021), lassab999 (Oct 25, 2021), melbakid (Oct 24, 2021), metric_taper (Oct 20, 2021), Moby Duck (Nov 17, 2023), mwmkravchenko (Oct 24, 2021), nova_robotics (Oct 20, 2021), schuylergrace (Oct 23, 2021), Sleykin (Oct 20, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Oct 21, 2021), WmRMeyers (Oct 21, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Lathe Chuck Key Modification to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    As you can see where the chuck key stays the addition of the socket makes it much easier to grab hold of, I think I like this part of the addition the most, even though changing the position of the tool post is now a breeze. And I change position of it almost as much as I change parts in the the chuck.
    lathe chuck key mod-img_20211020_184136ck.jpg

Thanks

stillldoinit's Tools
    Now that is just slick!!

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by stillldoinit View Post
    Now that is just slick!!
    Like many things that show genius, it's obvious once you see it. Also makes you smack your forehead that you did not!

Bill

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    Like many things that show genius, it's obvious once you see it. Also makes you smack your forehead that you did not!

Bill
    In the past on a chuck key for a lathe I used to have I welded a cut off 1/2" drive extension my theory or thinking was I could just change out to which ever socket size I wanted at the time. This was well and good but on that lathe there were 3 or 4 various sizes of nuts or bolts I regularly changed things on. It turned out to be a royal pain using the chuck key for everything plus there was the clutter and having to keep up with all of the sizes.
    This lathe has 3 sizes as well that I use frequently but a socket will only fit on 1 of them that being the tool post. the lock bolts for the tail stock are recessed and can only be gotten at by the wrench made for it or a combination wrench, that wrench remains on it at all times.
    For the carriage lock most of the time the compound slide is covering it so only a combination wrench will work there so I just leave a 3/4 box end on it at all times as well.
    leaving only the tool post that I had to hunt for the wrench. The socket on the chuck key solved that issue.
    Now I need to do the same thing for my other lathes.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Great idea, Frank!

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools
    That gives me an idea. I should build a widget for my lathe and drill press where they won't turn on unless the chuck key is in the storage spot. Not so much for safety, but so I don't lose the damn things.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information