Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Clevis pin drill jig

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Clevis pin drill jig

it can be used t drill a hole in the center of any 1/2" round but tis was what I made it for.
    Finding clevis pin the length and size I wanted might not have been difficult, finding a hardened one though?
    To make them I wanted a drill jig so I wouldn't have to fiddle around trying to stay on center of something round plus I wanted consistency in the hole location.
    What I used was a salvaged cemented carbide tool shank 3/4" sq. these make lots of really good second life tools.
    I bored a hole through the length of it then cross drilled for the cotter pin location in the clevis pins.
    Clevis pin drill jig-img_20211021_162247dg.jpg
    Clevis pin drill jig-img_20211021_163143cpdg.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

DIYer (Oct 22, 2021)

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    it can be used t drill a hole in the center of any 1/2" round but tis was what I made it for.
    Finding clevis pin the length and size I wanted might not have been difficult, finding a hardened one though?
    To make them I wanted a drill jig so I wouldn't have to fiddle around trying to stay on center of something round plus I wanted consistency in the hole location.
    What I used was a salvaged cemented carbide tool shank 3/4" sq. these make lots of really good second life tools.
    I bored a hole through the length of it then cross drilled for the cotter pin location in the clevis pins.
    You must have a really interesting junk pile! I'm jealous!

What did you use to bore the cemented carbide tool shank?

Bill

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    You must have a really interesting junk pile! I'm jealous!

What did you use to bore the cemented carbide tool shank?

Bill
    the shanks are not super hard material and will drill easily with any good grade HSS bit I think most of mine are Dormer
    Most of my cemented carbide tooling has come from India but the carbides are actually silver brazed on. I use them a lot instead of HSS or white metal for a lot of things tough to grind to a shape but stay well once I have reground the carbide to the point that there is nothing left or it pops off I toss the shanks into a bin for repurposing
    Last edited by Frank S; Oct 21, 2021 at 10:18 PM.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Clevis Pin Drilling Jig to our Drilling and Drill Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    the shanks are not super hard material and will drill easily with any good grade HSS bit I think most of mine are Dormer
    Most of my cemented carbide tooling has come from India but the carbides are actually silver brazed on. I use them a lot instead of HSS or white metal for a lot of things tough to grind to a shape but stay well once I have reground the carbide to the point that there is nothing left or it pops off I toss the shanks into a bin for repurposing
    OK. Obviously, my over-active imagination lit up! Thanks!

Bill

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Frank, that looks like another part you're gearing up for production to make in quantity. Seems using grade 8 bolts gives uber quality, without any heat treat operation. Seems like a quick way to setup to drill across the center of round bar. And you don't have to put in a centering drill to start out, I like that, no tooling changes. I assume the drill press vise is hand positioned to center the chucked up drill bit into the fixture's hole.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    Frank, that looks like another part you're gearing up for production to make in quantity. Seems using grade 8 bolts gives uber quality, without any heat treat operation. Seems like a quick way to setup to drill across the center of round bar. And you don't have to put in a centering drill to start out, I like that, no tooling changes. I assume the drill press vise is hand positioned to center the chucked up drill bit into the fixture's hole.
    Hand positioned then bolted in place. Then it is just a matter of pushing in the bolt drilling the hole changing the bolt and drilling another hole.
    The thing is I can buy them in the size and the length and hardness? I require If I wanted to wait wait wait. which to me means something stuck on a container ship out in the Pacific I didn't need grade 8 but I stock grade 8 bolts.
    I did need them the same length and didn't want to have to fiddle around with tool change IE center drill then drill bit.
    If what I am developing goes into production I will buy a 50 lb box of them just 1 less thing to have to make.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information