Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Makeshift Vice and Headpiece Stand

Thanks

Daturat100r's Tools

Makeshift Vice and Headpiece Stand

A trivial but in hindsight an incredibly handy and highly utilised addition to the jewellery workshop.
    In a moment of need while trying to polish and finish very small castings of silver chucked this sorta vice /hand piece stand, and all materials were to hand ,only slightly tricky part of construction was to drill large hole for flex shaft hand piece. I drilled for clamp bolt and anti rotation pin(in this case a handy tekscrew) assemble and clamp a 6mm piece of ply between jaws to take the screw of the augur bit keeping it online
    Primarily intended to hold pendant motor hand piece spinning 1" cotton mops and brushes till collet chuck turned up for dedicated polishing motor ,found it to be equally useful as a vice with easily modified jaws nibbling out bits of jaw tops to house various bits while using piercing saw,gravers, files etc but especially while burnishing as in photos. With it being height adjustable workpiece can be brought to a usable height either for the magnifying glasses to work without stooping over workpiece or ease of
    Have not gotten around to slotting main jaw upright for wingnut height adjustment but clamps work fine The top of jaws getting bit worn out now after 5 years use and have to make a modified mounting one for a friend so will replace loose jaw once can dig out a bit more premachined 25 x 45 mm Kwila outa the woodrack if there is any left
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Makeshift Vice and Headpiece Stand-20211026_131047.jpg   Makeshift Vice and Headpiece Stand-20211026_131047.jpg   Makeshift Vice and Headpiece Stand-20211026_130914.jpg   Makeshift Vice and Headpiece Stand-20211026_130924.jpg   Makeshift Vice and Headpiece Stand-20211026_131037.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daturat100r For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Oct 26, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Daturat100r! We've added your Rotary Tool Mount to our Rotary Tools category,
    as well as to your builder page: Daturat100r's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Jon; Jan 20, 2023 at 04:11 PM.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Daturat100r View Post
    A trivial but in hindsight an incredibly handy and highly utilised addition to the jewellery workshop.
    In a moment of need while trying to polish and finish very small castings of silver chucked this sorta vice /hand piece stand, and all materials were to hand ,only slightly tricky part of construction was to drill large hole for flex shaft hand piece. I drilled for clamp bolt and anti rotation pin(in this case a handy tekscrew) assemble and clamp a 6mm piece of ply between jaws to take the screw of the augur bit keeping it online
    Primarily intended to hold pendant motor hand piece spinning 1" cotton mops and brushes till collet chuck turned up for dedicated polishing motor ,found it to be equally useful as a vice with easily modified jaws nibbling out bits of jaw tops to house various bits while using piercing saw,gravers, files etc but especially while burnishing as in photos. With it being height adjustable workpiece can be brought to a usable height either for the magnifying glasses to work without stooping over workpiece or ease of
    Have not gotten around to slotting main jaw upright for wingnut height adjustment but clamps work fine The top of jaws getting bit worn out now after 5 years use and have to make a modified mounting one for a friend so will replace loose jaw once can dig out a bit more premachined 25 x 45 mm Kwila outa the woodrack if there is any left
    It's a foot vise. Used to be be common in home workshops, and professional workshops, anywhere wood was available, and metal scarce or expensive. As long as you're not blacksmithing on it, they're great. If you plan on blacksmithing on it, you can still make one of metal, or buy one. I have one in metal on my big workbench. I've had a couple of the wooden ones over the years, as they're pretty easy to make. Yours has obviously seen some good use.

Bill

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

Daturat100r (Oct 26, 2021)

Thanks

Daturat100r's Tools
    I've seen them here as a leg vice

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Daturat100r View Post
    I've seen them here as a leg vice
    So have I, but I posted in the wee hours of the morning, and way to much blood in my caffeine system.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

Daturat100r (Sep 12, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    I've always heard them referred to as a "post vise"...

https://www.google.com/search?q=post...4dUDCAU&uact=5
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    I've always heard them referred to as a "post vise"...

https://www.google.com/search?q=post...4dUDCAU&uact=5
    The names may well be regional. I've moved a lot, and lived in 7 states across the US, and for at least a short time in 3 countries other than the US, not counting the 32 times I moved before I turned 18. Guy I bought my vise from in Guthrie called it a leg vise, but he was from Missouri, IIRC, and visiting the Southwest Iron Works Iron Workers Faire & Swap Meet some years ago. It's America!

Bill

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    https://www.google.com/search?q=FOOT...biw=1120&hl=en

https://www.google.com/search?q=leg+...biw=1120&hl=en

Yep. More than one way to name them, plus bonus material of other goodies (tools are always good!) that do the same or similar things, and other ways to do the same or similar things.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    https://www.google.com/search?q=FOOT...biw=1120&hl=en

https://www.google.com/search?q=leg+...biw=1120&hl=en

Yep. More than one way to name them, plus bonus material of other goodies (tools are always good!) that do the same or similar things, and other ways to do the same or similar things.
    "Post" and "leg" vise seem interchangeable but "foot" seems to refer to something where the work is clamped via foot pressure on a lever. Would be handy where frequent position changes of the work are required.

Regardless, as you say, it's all good. The English vocabulary is arguably the largest in the world. The OED used to be 20 volumes and something north of 600,000 entries.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thread Information