Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: International Harvester one-man cab truck - photos

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

blkadder (Nov 20, 2021), clydeman (Nov 16, 2021), nova_robotics (Nov 20, 2021)

Thanks

greenie's Tools
    Now that is beyond just plain old U-G-L-Y, ------------- that abomination is just plain F-U-G-L-Y (effin ugly)

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

gatz's Tools
    Paxton-Vierling Steel in Omaha NE had that type of truck for hauling.......weird-looking

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Those cabs, like the one on the single axle dump, were called "crane cabs". We had a local contractor that had a few of them on semi-tractors, made by Mack. That particular contractor got a price deal on them and used them to pull dump trailers on road construction contracts. If used to transport a mobile crane, the offset to the left allowed room for the mobile crane boom to be laid down beside the cab on the right for transport. Appropriate boom supports would be added to the truck frame near the front bumper. You would think that a two passenger cab would be needed for both the crane oiler and the crane operator to ride, but it was the oiler's responsibility to "road" the crane, and the crane operator followed in his own vehicle. The crane would often be used for several days in a location, and the oiler would hitch a ride with the operator back to his own vehicle at the end of the day.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by gatz View Post
    Paxton-Vierling Steel in Omaha NE had that type of truck for hauling.......weird-looking
    I recall these around Los Angeles area too, seems they were EMJ, in that trademark red and blue. But the lead photo, why does a single seat cab get a grand staircase?
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Nov 16, 2021 at 10:29 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I also wondered about the fancy staircase, and then I noticed that the picture is labeled in the lower right corner - ClassicRefuseTrucks.com . I worked in Ohio for my brother's father-in-law one summer in the early sixties. He picked up garbage in a single axle dump truck, but we loaded it from the back. It was a high lift for a skinny 14 year old kid. Maybe this one with the staircase was designed to load from the front? There's a notch, one more step and also a handrail of sorts built onto the front of the truck bed.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information