Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hodge pudge Anvil

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 341 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools

Hodge pudge Anvil

Hodge pudge Anvil-2f2c3a7d-c1a3-4bb8-990d-874b5c679d4f.jpeg
    Now, kindly do not troll me for my welding, but I have had a lot of practice this week. I couldn’t think of any use.for the clunky bits of steel I had been given, and while the potential was there, an offer of the components and design, free, to Facebook blacksmiths found no takers. “Too good to throw away”, so set about sticking them together.
    (Most of the week has been taken up with joinery, a countertop in ash to replace the stained and damaged veneered one in our living room.)
    The welder only allows 4 or 5 rods at a time. I shaped the horn a few weeks back. It is a 70mm dia shaft.
    Hodge pudge Anvil-a2de4f27-0c7a-4463-96ce-3d3523adf400.jpeg
    This is too heavy for me to lift. The face is gauge plate, 1/2” thick. I have not attempted to harden. I can remove it by undoing two screws and cutting 4 tacks, so it’s a consumable, if you like.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

blkadder (Oct 17, 2023), Christophe Mineau (Dec 4, 2021), clydeman (Nov 26, 2021), Frank S (Nov 26, 2021), Jon (Nov 26, 2021), LMMasterMariner (Nov 26, 2021), renov8r (Dec 1, 2021), rlm98253 (Dec 3, 2021), sak778 (Dec 4, 2021), volodar (Nov 27, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I won't beat you up on your welds, in face I may even commend you on them. Not even every guy or gal who does nothing but weld throughout their careers makes every weld look perfect, and never let them tell you otherwise. You were obviously using a machine of limited capacity and duty cycle so to even contemplate having to lay enough filler material to hold the thick pieces of metal together is in itself commendable, you have enough blacksmithing experience as evidence of many of your previous forged tools to understand the requirement of needing a significant amount of heat in order for eth welds to make a proper bond. I've known welders who have laid beads that looked perfect on the surface but they were just that on the surface, and could very nearly be chipped free like chipping off the flux, while others not so pretty couldn't be broken with a sledge hammer.
    Now to comment on your anvil. depending on how it will be used there often is no need to harden the face of it even substances such as sand stone have been used as anvils, the surface needs only to be more substantial than the more malleable materials being formed on it.
    Being a hodge podge of collected materials to form a collected homogenous mass into the shape of something resembling what many consider an anvil to look like while becoming a useful tool is another added plus.
    So all in all I find nothing wrong with your anvil and I like its unique appearance

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Christophe Mineau (Dec 4, 2021), Philip Davies (Nov 26, 2021), rlm98253 (Dec 3, 2021), volodar (Nov 27, 2021)

Supporting Member LMMasterMariner's Avatar
    Thanks

LMMasterMariner's Tools
    Great idea for scrap metal use. Looks like this anvil is ready for a lot of torture. There is nothing wrong with your welds. Much better than mine.

Cheers
    LMMasterMariner

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LMMasterMariner For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Nov 26, 2021)

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Davies View Post
    Now, kindly do not troll me for my welding, but I have had a lot of practice this week. I couldn’t think of any use.for the clunky bits of steel I had been given, and while the potential was there, an offer of the components and design, free, to Facebook blacksmiths found no takers. “Too good to throw away”, so set about sticking them together.
    (Most of the week has been taken up with joinery, a countertop in ash to replace the stained and damaged veneered one in our living room.)
    The welder only allows 4 or 5 rods at a time. I shaped the horn a few weeks back. It is a 70mm dia shaft.

This is too heavy for me to lift. The face is gauge plate, 1/2” thick. I have not attempted to harden. I can remove it by undoing two screws and cutting 4 tacks, so it’s a consumable, if you like.
    While I'm pretty sure I could have found other things to do with the metal you used to make this anvil, I have an anvil. 128lb London-pattern my dad bought for $5 when I was a teenager. I traded a 1911 with an Ace Conversion Kit for it when I was 30. You do what you have to do when you need an anvil. I've also got my dad's welder, an ancient Craftsman that he owned when I was a little kid. I could make better welds with it. If I could weld. I think I'm getting to the point where I can start learning to weld again. I have stuck a few things together, and used the sledge hammer to test the welds. They held. They sure didn't look any better than yours. I'm not gonna mess with you about that, either. For what you had, and what you need, I think you've done fine! If you ever find the anvil you want, you can always break this one back down into stock, or use it as boat anchor, or whatever seems appropriate at the time. Hang it over your front door to discourage critics, maybe. If it meets your needs for now, and didn't cost but a little time and a few pieces of weld rod, I'd call it good! If anyone else has another opinion, well, you know what they say about opinions. Like rectums, everyone has one, and most of them stink!

Bill
    Last edited by WmRMeyers; Nov 26, 2021 at 08:58 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 341 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    Thank you all most kindly!

Supporting Member Paul Alciatore's Avatar
    Thanks

Paul Alciatore's Tools
    Looks great to me.

And the welds are better than I can do. Perhaps I also should collect some scraps and get some practice welding.
    Paul A.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Alciatore For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Love your ingenuity, powered by the mother of invention. I own a manufacturing, fabrication, welding business. So yes I can strike an arc. Not all welds need to be showcase welds. Better if they really do hold all of the parts together that they are suppose to. Yours should do that. If not do a little grinding and reweld it. Great job, never stifle the creative juices that run within. Go dig through your scrap pile and invent(build)something useful.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bwpigeon For This Useful Post:

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Philip Davies! We've added your Anvil to our Anvils category,
    as well as to your builder page: Philip Davies's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,544 Times in 11,260 Posts
    Congratulations Philip Davies - your Hodge Podge Anvil is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

Great use of scrap; this is the spirit of homemade tools right here.

Some more good builds from this week:

Waste Oil Forge by Mr.DK DIY
    Low Profile Carriage Lock by Christophe Mineau
    Glass DRO Cross Slide Mount by Christophe Mineau
    Center Finder by orioncons36
    Sanding Plane by RCTURKA
    Belt Grinder by GBWM
    Circular Saw Crosscut Jig by Keith William Knull
    Table Saw Vertical Cutting Jig by Junkyard
    Parts Cooler by Frank S
    Motorized Wheelbarrow by Kwandotechnic
    Spot Face Cutter by Frank S
    Assorted Woodworking Tools by Junkyard

Philip Davies - you'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

This is your 4th Homemade Tool of the Week win. Here are all of your Homemade Tool of the Week winning tools. Congrats again

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,672 Times in 479 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools
    Great Phil, I like it, and the best of it is if any bond would come to fail, well, just a little bit if more welding and good to go.
    Congrats, well deserved !
    Christophe
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Christophe Mineau For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Oct 22, 2023)

Thread Information