Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Screwless vise from salvaged cast iron - video

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,544 Times in 11,260 Posts

Screwless vise from salvaged cast iron - video

Screwless vise from salvaged cast iron. By Jeremy Makes Things. 22:56 video:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

emu roo (Nov 23, 2021), funforall 69 (Nov 23, 2021), GKK (Nov 23, 2021), johncg (Nov 28, 2021), mwmkravchenko (Nov 23, 2021), NortonDommi (Nov 23, 2021), rlm98253 (Nov 23, 2021), sak778 (Nov 24, 2021), WmRMeyers (Nov 28, 2021)

Supporting Member TheElderBrother's Avatar
    Thanks
    We need a whole category for "1-2-3 Block Shenanigans".

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    thats nice, but one thing for sure my Vise is not screwless..

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Screwless vise from salvaged cast iron. By Jeremy Makes Things. 22:56 video:

I was trying not to subscribe to this guy's youtube, since I have too many subscribed already. But he's taking junk and making tools out of it! I have to subscribe!

Thanks
    Ive always made tools out of junk. there are oh somany things that are a good start already..some look store bought some dont.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
    Ive always made tools out of junk. there are oh somany things that are a good start already..some look store bought some dont.
    I've been collecting good junk for a lifetime, based the on the examples of my father and maternal grandfather, but this guy is using material I'd have never though would have enough useful metal to be worth keeping. Stuff I wouldn't have bothered to pick up. We're talking serious eye-opener here!

Bill
    Last edited by WmRMeyers; Nov 28, 2021 at 07:19 PM.

Thanks
    yup, many people never see what can be made from something. Ive used many old forged pistons from 350,351,454 v8 engines and cut the tops off, machined them from a pilot and made jigs & drivers from them, taken the cam shafts and machined for drivers,& valve seat drivers as well as the seat rings to attach to the driver for varius size valves.. a old washing machine has lots of great parts in them to make all kind of stuff the older the beter parts are in them, the agaitator shaft makes great axles as well as shafts, some had gears in them ,we took 2 with the gears on them and some scrap steel plate and other scraps and made quite a nice bead roller long befor you could buy one for $200. take a old 4cylinder engine block and knock out the dowels and you now have a awesom very rigged tomb stone for you mill!! you can add to it to do what ever you may need when you need to machine somethinthat has to be mounted up @ 90 degrees. put block on flywheel end or the other end ot the oil pan serface or head serface. you can also use a aluminum block if your doing some lighter work, or old like me and dont want to pick up heavy stuff. the possiablitys are endless ass to what you can make out of almost anything. even old axles or stub axles /flanges. good thick quality steel, you can make lots of stuff from them from face plate for lathe or even machine them to make a fly cutter/serfacing head .most people as well as seasoned machinist dont have any imagination and just cant see it, or cant make it with out somebody making prints or telling them what or how to really make something. I took my old 30 cu fot fridgerator and took it appart and used the shelvs in my shop, the bottom freezer drawes and slides are now a nice holder for many power tools,the other drawers are just that more storage drawers. open your eyes,ears and mind you can do any thing with almost nothing. a old exersize machine I made a seat & guide tilt table out of for doing cylinder head work. some of the other parts I made a "3D ball headed " seat cutter holder for cutting counter bores as well as doing valve jobs holding the multi degree & radii carbide cutters. I have ends of crankshafts that were cut off so you can mount the flywheels on them in the lathe and either reserface or lighten them in your lathe ( if your lathe is big enough) remember this..before there were machines or tools...how did they make machines or tools...with ther brains..un educated brains 90 % of the time.and ,,,,rocks. so... GET TO WORK!!!

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
    yup, many people never see what can be made from something. Ive used many old forged pistons from 350,351,454 v8 engines and cut the tops off, machined them from a pilot and made jigs & drivers from them, taken the cam shafts and machined for drivers,& valve seat drivers as well as the seat rings to attach to the driver for varius size valves.. a old washing machine has lots of great parts in them to make all kind of stuff the older the beter parts are in them, the agaitator shaft makes great axles as well as shafts, some had gears in them ,we took 2 with the gears on them and some scrap steel plate and other scraps and made quite a nice bead roller long befor you could buy one for $200. take a old 4cylinder engine block and knock out the dowels and you now have a awesom very rigged tomb stone for you mill!! you can add to it to do what ever you may need when you need to machine somethinthat has to be mounted up @ 90 degrees. put block on flywheel end or the other end ot the oil pan serface or head serface. you can also use a aluminum block if your doing some lighter work, or old like me and dont want to pick up heavy stuff. the possiablitys are endless ass to what you can make out of almost anything. even old axles or stub axles /flanges. good thick quality steel, you can make lots of stuff from them from face plate for lathe or even machine them to make a fly cutter/serfacing head .most people as well as seasoned machinist dont have any imagination and just cant see it, or cant make it with out somebody making prints or telling them what or how to really make something. I took my old 30 cu fot fridgerator and took it appart and used the shelvs in my shop, the bottom freezer drawes and slides are now a nice holder for many power tools,the other drawers are just that more storage drawers. open your eyes,ears and mind you can do any thing with almost nothing. a old exersize machine I made a seat & guide tilt table out of for doing cylinder head work. some of the other parts I made a "3D ball headed " seat cutter holder for cutting counter bores as well as doing valve jobs holding the multi degree & radii carbide cutters. I have ends of crankshafts that were cut off so you can mount the flywheels on them in the lathe and either reserface or lighten them in your lathe ( if your lathe is big enough) remember this..before there were machines or tools...how did they make machines or tools...with ther brains..un educated brains 90 % of the time.and ,,,,rocks. so... GET TO WORK!!!
    I keep telling folks that the guys who made the first machine tools did it with hammers and chisels, files and hacksaws, and the knowledge and skill to use them. Clickspring has a series of videos on making files with the same sorts of tooling the Greek artisans would have had when they made the Antikythera Mechanism, which was made somewhere between 200BC & 60BC, and was an analog computer for astronomical calculations. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

Once he makes the files and some other stuff, he makes a replica of the machine, too. Using those tools.

Bill

Thanks
    but that hammer and file are tools....so who made them? with what? it had to start somewhere. Or did the aliens leave them?? or god dropped them from heaven.....ya thats it.god did it. where did they get the materials?? scrap?? all this took time.lots of time. Hammer= rock. File=rock...fire=idea, warmth, new stuff from melted stuff..and it starts...slow but it's a start. like a snow flake blowing across a plain till it starts down hill and evolution has it's start and no stoping it now that a little has been figured out and they now have a rolling snow flake going down hill growing faster and faster, the more that they figure out,dont figure out make, try to make fail the faster that old snow ball gathers up more snow. it's all down hill from there....well to hear where all that is almost lost due to lazyness and out sorcing& greed. that snow ball is now a flake again and heat is rizing fast.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information