Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: All Terrain Track Chair Project: part 7 of Final assembly

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I hadn't realized you were making it all weather as well as all terrain, Very cool feature by the way.
    I do have 1 or possibly 2 questions though.
    #1 now that it is a fully enclosed vehicle is there a provision for possible exit given a systems failure.
    #2 is there, or do you think there should be a an accessible panel or manual override controls for first responders in the event of operator incapacitation, which would not cause any damage to the vehicle.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    Hi Frank,
    Good questions, and those are ones I worked through during the design. The front windshield frame and front flipper are both air powered, activated by electronics, and there's a secondary manual override. Loss of power means the air solenoid dis-engages, and then the windshield automatically opens via air cylinders and assisted by gas shocks. Front flipper on the ramp is also air and tied to the windshield frame system. Again, it automatically opens with a loss of power/air. Neither one will lock closed... and even with air on, you can pull the windshield frame open.
    The Wheelchair is locked in with an EZ-Lock system, which also has a manual lever to disengage.
    There is a roller coaster style shoulder strap seat belt system that closes over the user to support and restrain their shoulders. This is also air, and spring assisted. Any loss of air, and it automatically unlocks and opens.

I also have an E-stop switch inside, and a second one outside at the rear... hitting either of those switches stops the engine instantly, but leaves the rest of the electrical/air system working.

The safety aspects are a portion of the build that has taken a long time due to the thought and implementation of all of the systems.

Thanks
    Kent

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KustomsbyKent For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Oct 4, 2021)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Thanks Kent; you know how inquiring minds are, I see such a superbly constructed well thought out machine figuring there were redundancies and overrides but I try not to just assume they exist.
    I used to design and build freight elevators. A lot of manufactures who were in the same type of business would skirt the safety codes and requirements by calling their machines vertical reciprocating conveyors. carefully avoiding any mention or association with words like hoists lifts elevators etc. but ours were called what they were elevators designed to lift or hoist freight either bulky or compact heavy loads without an onboard operator although many had operator controls inside or on the platform for emergency use or servicing there by having to meet the more stringent for human transport codes applicable to the region.

Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools

All Terrain Track Chair: Part 12

And here's part 12....

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KustomsbyKent For This Useful Post:

MsLizVt (Dec 2, 2021), nova_robotics (Dec 1, 2021)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I believe your client is going to fall in love with that machine. I also foresee that the person the machine is intended for once they are used to it will find many accessories, they might like to have for it. If this person happens to be a hunter quite possibly a couple of rifle ports in the side windows or even if they are avid adventurers who might like to go places otherwise inaccessible to them, maybe a swing a way brush cutting flail to clear a trail or low laying limbs mounted on a knuckle arm might be something they would like. and possibly a manipulator knuckle boom on the other side with a grapple to remove obstructions.
    My friend you may think you are at the end of this build but with your outstanding abilities there are many more items in the way of attachable accessories for it in the future for you.
    And don't forget if this individual has any inclination towards ag. this machine is the perfect launching platform for gardening Possibly a bit bulky for very small gardens but none the less the possibilities are there and as endless as one's imagination.
    Again if I haven't said it before a job well done, and I see you solved your wheel bearing bore problem.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

semaur (Dec 1, 2021)

Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    Hi Frank S,
    Thanks for the kind remarks!

On the wheel note, that is a separate topic that still needs to be solved, as that is a separate project. The wheels on the ATTC are factory ASV tracked skidsteer bogey wheels, and they are beefy.

Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    And then here is a short, 1 min video, that highlights the entire build from start to finish:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KustomsbyKent For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Dec 21, 2021)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Loved your vid of the start to finish of the project it showed many changes in how the vehicle evolved, that people wouldn't realize are all too often a key part of a custom build, even more so if such a build has or is to have a potential for production to be sold.
    I have been involved in a project now going into its 3rd year of development changes. #1 trying to stay within some semblance of the originator's design intent and not completely kill off all his patents has been a challenge it has also meant that many of his patent applications have had to have several amendments added to them. plus there are quite a few completely new key points of the build which will require new patent applications on their own. My partner is a bean counter and for this reason I have had to make certain alterations to satisfy his curiosity, many if not most of which have had to be discarded after implementation and reverted back to my original redesign of the machine due to those ideas causing weak points or space issues in other areas. it seems that he is now learning that space weight and cost constraints are creating more issues every time he opens his mouth, but I think he is learning

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (Dec 26, 2021)

Thread Information