Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Opening a can by scratching it on pavement - GIF

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    Side cutting was my description, perhaps it was a bad one. I did watch it to the end and it showed me more about other types of can openers than the one he was featuring. At 850,000 views he is possibly smarter than me, but the clip is obviously designed to suck people in and hold them there for as long as possible, to get some form of monetary reward. No I am not obligated to click on everything I see on the internet, but when the link comes from HMT I expected something much better, something pre-vetted by a member, something that the member thought worthwhile watching. We obviously think very differently about this POS video clip. I seriously hope that any other HMT member that bothers to watch it enjoys it better than I did.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby Duck View Post
    I have just lost 21 minutes of my life, what a verbose lot of twaddle about nothing. I have had one of these “new” side cutting openers for at least 40 years, so not “new” at all, and to make matters worse I don’t even like it. Please don’t post such irritating links that are not at all close to the original.
    Just FYI,Opening a can by scratching it on pavement - GIF-1-click.png Opening a can by scratching it on pavement - GIF-2-click.png Opening a can by scratching it on pavement - GIF-3-click.png Opening a can by scratching it on pavement - GIF-magic-button.png

As the saying goes, " A click in time saves nine!". Well, it would go that way it is was said today instead of 1797.

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jan 19, 2022), Moby Duck (Jan 20, 2022), nova_robotics (Jan 19, 2022), WmRMeyers (Jan 19, 2022)

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Side cutting was my description, perhaps it was a bad one. I did watch it to the end and it showed me more about other types of can openers than the one he was featuring. At 850,000 views he is possibly smarter than me, but the clip is obviously designed to suck people in and hold them there for as long as possible, to get some form of monetary reward. No I am not obligated to click on everything I see on the internet, but when the link comes from HMT I expected something much better, something pre-vetted by a member, something that the member thought worthwhile watching. We obviously think very differently about this POS video clip. I seriously hope that any other HMT member that bothers to watch it enjoys it better than I did.
    Hate to say it, but you made the choice to watch it through. I am pretty sure that is on you, not the poster. I watch what I'm interested in, and nothing else. I may miss something good that way, but I don't gripe about others not posting good stuff for me. I go look for my own. If I think it particularly good for some reason, I'll post it to share. I also don't gripe about folks who weren't interested in it. I have peculiar tastes, and that's on me. It's not your fault I look at weird stuff.

Bill

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jan 19, 2022), nova_robotics (Jan 19, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I have just lost 21 minutes of my life, what a verbose lot of twaddle about nothing. I have had one of these “new” side cutting openers for at least 40 years, so not “new” at all, and to make matters worse I don’t even like it. Please don’t post such irritating links that are not at all close to the original.
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    You either didn't watch or didn't comprehend it because it isn't about a side cutting can opener. Are you obligated to click on everything you see on the internet? That video was released 4 days ago and has 850,000 views. Just because you don't find something entertaining doesn't mean other people are in the same boat.
    Either way, already know everything I need about can openers. The tips in not watching are clearly displayed; in minutes:seconds and ridiculous use (aka hype) of word 'Technology'. Since when are simple mechanics "Technology"? Use of misleading pics is nothing but clickbait. And that occurs with insignificant content; the clicky-er it is, even more so!
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jan 19, 2022 at 04:47 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Moby Duck (Jan 20, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Either way, already know everything I need about can openers. The tips in not watching are clearly displayed; in minutes:seconds and ridiculous use (aka hype) of word 'Technology'. Since when are simple mechanics "Technology"? Use of misleading pics is nothing but clickbait. And that occurs with insignificant content; the clicky-er it is, even more so!
    Since a failed to launch millennial discovered a different gadget in his mother's kitchen drawer, of which he had no idea of its function. Then had to look for it on the internet. Upon finding same he felt the compelling need to create a lengthy video to share with his other failed to launch friends. I can hardly wait until he visits his grandmother's house and discovers a flour sifter.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Moby Duck (Jan 20, 2022)

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Since a failed to launch millennial discovered a different gadget in his mother's kitchen drawer, of which he had no idea of its function. Then had to look for it on the internet. Upon finding same he felt the compelling need to create a lengthy video to share with his other failed to launch friends. I can hardly wait until he visits his grandmother's house and discovers a flour sifter.
    You can sift flour!?!
    That will come in handy for some projects in my workshop. I'd have never ever thought of that!

Bill

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    You either didn't watch or didn't comprehend it because it isn't about a side cutting can opener. Are you obligated to click on everything you see on the internet? That video was released 4 days ago and has 850,000 views. Just because you don't find something entertaining doesn't mean other people are in the same boat.
    I've watched about the first 10 seconds of the video. I love his Commodore C-64 T-shirt!

I had experience of a top-removing can opener in the 80's, and wasn't impressed. Partially, that was because I was raised in a workshop where tin cans were frequently used to store small parts and hardware. The can opener in question actually removed the whole top, including the seam. This left a LOT of sharp area on the can. Had advantages, but the safety aspect was totally ignored by the manufacturer. I don't use such cans so much these days for workshop storage, but there are probably a few legacy cans left out there somewhere. This new opener solves that problem, and makes the can re-closable, at least to a certain extent. Might be easier to operate, but we don't use as much canned food as once we did, either. Oh well. The video was not a total waste of time, and there were interesting aspects of the development of can openers. I have found that an idea that works in one area of life can often be used elsewhere as well.
    Last edited by WmRMeyers; Jan 19, 2022 at 05:42 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    I've watched about the first 10 seconds of the video. I love his Commodore C-64 T-shirt!
    Yes, still in perfect condition!
    After all, isn't Grandma doing his laundry?
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Yes, still in perfect condition!
    After all, isn't Grandma doing his laundry?
    I don't know. I do know that my grandma's means of doing laundry would not have preserved such a shirt. I have been a collector and wearer of T-shirts for most of the past 50 years. Not one of my original collector t-shirts has lasted this long, because I also insist on wearing them. I do miss my F-4 T-shirt. I stared wearing it in the early 70's, after I was trained to work on F-4's. Had a nose-on picture of an F-4, and the words "F-4 Phantom. World's largest distributor or MiG parts" around the edges of the medallion.

Bill

14. The Following User Says Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jan 19, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools

What is Technology?

snip... Since when are simple mechanics "Technology"?...snip
    Technology is a word that gets miss-used a lot in todays society. Most dictionaries have it wrong. I will venture to say that it is used incorrectly more than it is used properly.

By Definition

Technique
    1. a way of carrying out a particular task
    2. or skill or ability in a particular field,
    3. or a skillful or efficient way of doing or achieving something

+ ology
    1, a subject of study; a branch of knowledge

= Technology

Many definitions say technology is the use of scientific knowledge to do things. This is untrue, as many "technological" developments in use in use long before "science" was able to explain how it worked. Has "science" yet explained how the pyramids were built? They have speculated, and formed theories. But that was 1,000's of years AFTER that technology was used.

The use of the word in such grossly incorrect ways is one of those buttons that really sets me off. A simple example: while I was teaching, a new building opened, there was a couple of doors spread through out the building labeled, Technology. What does that even mean? WHAT is in those rooms? Did they have the knowledge of HOW TO DO things locked up in those rooms? No they were just wiring closets, with racks of switches, UPS power supplies, servers, etc. But technology sounded cooler.

Simple mechanics are Technology when they are used in an effective way to complete some task. Imagine early people using a piece of bone to chip flint into a sharp tool. There was no science involved in them learning how to do that. The science came later. Same with fire. The Science of fire came LONG after fire was discovered and in common use.

Technology is NOT some complicated thing, it could be, but the complexity does not enter into the definition of technology.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jan 19, 2022)

Thread Information