Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Semi falls on its side after overtaking on curve - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,257 Times in 9,724 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Jon; Jan 22, 2022 at 04:34 PM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

carloski (Jan 22, 2022), EnginePaul (Jan 24, 2022), jimfols (Jan 22, 2022), mwmkravchenko (Jan 23, 2022), nova_robotics (Jan 26, 2022), Rangi (Jan 25, 2022), rlm98253 (Jan 22, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    That is not going to buff out!!

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (Jan 24, 2022), mwmkravchenko (Jan 23, 2022)

Supporting Member Fluffle-Valve's Avatar
    Thanks
    What a muppet. In too much of a hurry.
    I have a 1972 Land Rover Series III Truck Cab/Pick-Up and a 1962 Land Rover Series 2a Carawagon Camper.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffle-Valve For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Jan 23, 2022)

Supporting Member TrickieDickie's Avatar
    Thanks
    He probably knew better but thought he could get away with it one more time....not wise at all. Probably will not get a chance to do it again

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TrickieDickie For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Jan 23, 2022)

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Probably couldn't tell how fast he was going without his shoes!
    "Divided We Stand, Together We Rise!" - (From "White Feather") - Marillion

Thanks

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosiersmoker View Post
    Probably couldn't tell how fast he was going without his shoes!
    I would think he should be able to tell speed more easily barefoot?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Hoosiersmoker (Jan 25, 2022)

Thanks

odd one's Tools
    Probably varies by state, but when I was growing up, I was always told it was illegal to drive without wearing shoes. I can not think of much good that can come out of driving barefoot.

Thanks

hemmjo's Tools
    I cannot speak for Hoosiersmoker, but I know that my comment was intended with a bit of humor. I am thinking his was also.

In regard to the drivers situation, that appears to be someplace with very high poverty rate. I know I cannot get a clear idea of the situation from a 47 second video, but this is what I see. Both of the trucks shown appear to be relatively new and in very good condition. You get a glimpse of the tires, they appear to have good tread on them. The trucks are not all rusty and banged up. (well one of them is pretty banged up ad the end).

My impression of the driver is that does not have much. It is very possible he has NO SHOES. If he does he is either saving them for church, or they are so worn out that they might even be a hazard to drive in. Now he has lost his job, may very well be prevented from getting another, and probably will not be paid for the work he has done up to this point. I find myself feeling bad for his situation, trying to work hard for his family, but not having the skills required to do that job.

I am not defending his poor driving skills, BUT it is very possible he had never been in a truck like that before. It is almost assured that he had very little if ANY training as a driver. It happens a lot in countries like "wherever that is".

I should also add that the soles of his feet do not wear out like shoes would. His feet are like leather from going barefoot since he was a little kid.
    Last edited by hemmjo; Jan 26, 2022 at 03:36 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    I cannot speak for Hoosiersmoker, but I know that my comment was intended with a bit of humor. I am thinking his was also.

In regard to the drivers situation, that appears to be someplace with very high poverty rate. I know I cannot get a clear idea of the situation from a 47 second video, but this is what I see. Both of the trucks shown appear to be relatively new and in very good condition. You get a glimpse of the tires, they appear to have good tread on them. The trucks are not all rusty and banged up. (well one of them is pretty banged up ad the end).

My impression of the driver is that does not have much. It is very possible he has NO SHOES. If he does he is either saving them for church, or they are so worn out that they might even be a hazard to drive in. Now he has lost his job, may very well be prevented from getting another, and probably will not be paid for the work he has done up to this point. I find myself feeling bad for his situation, trying to work hard for his family, but not having the skills required to do that job.

I am not defending his poor driving skills, BUT it is very possible he had never been in a truck like that before. It is almost assured that he had very little if ANY training as a driver. It happens a lot in countries like "wherever that is".

I should also add that the soles of his feet do not wear out like shoes would. His feet are like leather from going barefoot since he was a little kid.
    And for all we know the load may have shifted while in the turn it may not have even been his fault in the first place.
    As far as no shoes goes, it is very common practice in many countries for men to just wear sandles, some of us may even call what they wear for shoes on their feet as flip flops or shower shoes.
    Saving his shoes for church? Possibly but, Muslims take theirs off and wash their feet prior to entering their place of prayer, in some countries Hindu Buddhist and even Coptic Christians enter their places of worship barefooted
    Many practices by the peoples of the world may seem strange to most of us.
    He may have been wearing his sandles while driving but had to kick them off to climb out of the truck after it was laying on its side. I'm not defending him either since I do not have any information as to why he was going faster into the curve than was safe to do so. Perhaps he had started to pass the truck behind him long before the curve which came up on him sooner than expected, it may not have been clearly marked in advance or being that he may have been in the process of overtaking the other vehicle, the sign if there was one could have been obscured from his sight, if that was the case then the other driver could possibly be partially at fault for not backing out of it.
    For my statement about there possibly not being a sign, I know of many highways here in the US. that do not have proper signage denoting possible unsafe driving speeds. You can be driving along even well belo0w the posted limit and encounter a curve in the road that is way unsafe to negotiate even at the speed you are traveling and there will not be so much as a single warning until you see the black and yellow barriers
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Jan 26, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 609 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    And for all we know the load may have shifted while in the turn it may not have even been his fault in the first place.
    Yup. This right here. I was driving in an industrial park years ago and I watched this happen. A truck (carrying liquid) went around a turn super slow. Perfectly reasonable and cautious driving. The fluid in the tank sloshed to one side and that bastard lifted all the tires on one side about 12 - 18". It was very slow too. It slowly lifted all the wheels going around the turn, then it slowly put them back down on the asphalt again. But I bet the driver pooped a little.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jan 26, 2022)

Thread Information