Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Making wine barrels - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,267 Times in 9,726 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

johncg (Jan 27, 2022), nova_robotics (Jan 26, 2022), Philip Davies (Jan 23, 2022), Slim-123 (Jan 22, 2022)

Thanks

Karl_H's Tools
    Has anyone found the link for the plans for those clamps?

Just kidding, Marv. They would be pretty easy to build if one had the need.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_H View Post
    Has anyone found the link for the plans for those clamps?

Just kidding, Marv. They would be pretty easy to build if one had the need.
    Perhaps a better question, does anybody have the math formula for the shape of the slats?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old kodger View Post
    Perhaps a better question, does anybody have the math formula for the shape of the slats?
    At about :14 they look like they alternate between wide & narrow. Need 2 formulas

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroun View Post
    At about :14 they look like they alternate between wide & narrow. Need 2 formulas
    Careful observation at 51 would seem to suggest that the widths are to some degree random, however the curve of each slat would be substantially similar

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    here is the way I see it, though my description may not be 100% spot on. Once you determine the desired diameter of your barrel you would need a number of slats of whatever width to equal the circumference at the center divide 360 by the number of slats to determine the included angle the edges of each slat would need to be shaved each slat having 2 edges that would require shaving you would employ half the included angle to either side Now decide the minor diameter of both ends of the barrel divide that circumference b y the number of slats to find the widths the slats would need to be trimmed down to use a mean average of slat widths to figure out the percentage that more would have to be trimmed off of slats wider than the average and the percentage of less to be trimmed off of slats being narrower than average. to figure the amount of curve mark out points at the radius of the differing diameters draw a line from point a the top radius to point b the center radius to point c the bottom radius then place an imaginary point opposite the point of the center radius the desired distance to be able to draw the desired curve between AB&C this would be the curvature of how the edges of the slats would be shaved keeping the shave angle to half the included angle.
    I probably didn't explain it fully but maybe you can imagine what I wat trying to explain I can visualize how the slats would be cut even if I can't explain them LOL
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    here is the way I see it, though my description may not be 100% spot on. Once you determine the desired diameter of your barrel you would need a number of slats of whatever width to equal the circumference at the center divide 360 by the number of slats to determine the included angle the edges of each slat would need to be shaved each slat having 2 edges that would require shaving you would employ half the included angle to either side Now decide the minor diameter of both ends of the barrel divide that circumference b y the number of slats to find the widths the slats would need to be trimmed down to use a mean average of slat widths to figure out the percentage that more would have to be trimmed off of slats wider than the average and the percentage of less to be trimmed off of slats being narrower than average. to figure the amount of curve mark out points at the radius of the differing diameters draw a line from point a the top radius to point b the center radius to point c the bottom radius then place an imaginary point opposite the point of the center radius the desired distance to be able to draw the desired curve between AB&C this would be the curvature of how the edges of the slats would be shaved keeping the shave angle to half the included angle.
    I probably didn't explain it fully but maybe you can imagine what I wat trying to explain I can visualize how the slats would be cut even if I can't explain them LOL
    Yeh I see the point, and thinking about it a little more constructively, when designing a yacht hull, to determine a "line" two or more known points are plotted then a batten pulled round those points, gives you a line, so if a batten were pulled around three points, (top, center, and bottom) of the barrel, it would give you a "fair" line for the curvature of the barrel top to bottom.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information