Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Secret of silicone

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    I disagree with taking this down.

With all due respect RG, they are lots of things, shown here and life in general, that require some level of intelligence and caution to use. I will venture to say are very few subscribers to this list, that are not aware of the explosion hazard of vaporized solvents.

It is dangerous to eat. It is dangerous to drive. It is dangerous to just sit and watch TV. It is dangerous to be alive. The trick is NOT to remove all of the dangerous things, the secret is to be aware.

Shifting gears..... My question centers around silicones compatibility with gasoline. I know that most silicone formulations are suitable for use in contact with gasoline. There are some that are "resistant". I do not know however if this true for "purified" gasoline, as I am not sure what that is. When I was a kid, we could buy "white gas" from a special pump at the gas station. We used it as a cleaning solvent, and fuel for camp stoves and lanterns. Perhaps it is the additives in modern gasoline that are the problem. So, maybe Coleman fuel would work for this?

As I recall white gas was quite a bit more expensive, maybe 30 cents a gallon instead of 22 cents for regular gasoline(that . Of course to keep things in perspective, I got paid 50 to 75 cents, maybe a $1.00 for mowing the neighbors lawn with push mower... the kind with NO ENGINE on it!!! Of curse that did save me the ?? cents I would need for fuel if I had a power mower.
    We bought our gasoline, Diesel and white gas in bulk, delivered to the farm in North Central Texas, less than $200.00plus the $15.00 delivery fee would fill the 2 500-gallon tanks with gas and diesel and the 75-gallon tank with white gas AKA Naphtha.
    Cigarettes were also sold in vending machines for a quarter a pack or 21 cents over the counter.
    Using gasoline as a solvent for cleaning greasy parts, or a mixture of gas & diesel was quite common since it was cheaper than having the white gas drum refilled before time to fill all 3 tanks. Sometimes even today I still use a 50/50 gas diesel mixture when cleaning greasy parts, not my go-to solvent anymore since there are detergent solvents which can almost do as good a job nearly as fast.
    Silicone before it cures can be blended quite well with many products or the excess cleaned and wiped away. I use the original Dawn liquid dish washing detergent on the tip of my finger to shape the calking joints and on a paper towel to wipe away the excess, but WD-40 works great as well.
    KP has explained how silicone can be utilized in many different consistencies of thickness, buy using varying amounts of different chemicals The oner thing he may not have explained is many or most of these procedures should be done with caution and in well ventilated areas. But then again rattle snakes don't have a warning label on the top of their heads either but most of us wouldn't pat them on their heads

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Frank S; Jan 25, 2022 at 06:50 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovanca Polock View Post
    That is, propane-butane in the composition of aerosols is not explosive enough for you. Ordinary, hairspray is much more dangerous.
    So you are saying that atomized gasoline is safer than hairspray? I rest my case.

Rick

2000 Tool Plans
    Rick

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    I disagree with taking this down.

With all due respect RG, they are lots of things, shown here and life in general, that require some level of intelligence and caution to use. I will venture to say are very few subscribers to this list, that are not aware of the explosion hazard of vaporized solvents.

It is dangerous to eat. It is dangerous to drive. It is dangerous to just sit and watch TV. It is dangerous to be alive. The trick is NOT to remove all of the dangerous things, the secret is to be aware.

Shifting gears..... My question centers around silicones compatibility with gasoline. I know that most silicone formulations are suitable for use in contact with gasoline. There are some that are "resistant". I do not know however if this true for "purified" gasoline, as I am not sure what that is. When I was a kid, we could buy "white gas" from a special pump at the gas station. We used it as a cleaning solvent, and fuel for camp stoves and lanterns. Perhaps it is the additives in modern gasoline that are the problem. So, maybe Coleman fuel would work for this?

As I recall white gas was quite a bit more expensive, maybe 30 cents a gallon instead of 22 cents for regular gasoline(that . Of course to keep things in perspective, I got paid 50 to 75 cents, maybe a $1.00 for mowing the neighbors lawn with push mower... the kind with NO ENGINE on it!!! Of curse that did save me the ?? cents I would need for fuel if I had a power mower.
    Yes Amaco sold a "white gas" that was a premium product for them. People would buy it to use in gas lanterns and stoves because it was cheaper than Coleman fuel.
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

Supporting Member Kovanca Polock's Avatar
    Thanks

Kovanca Polock's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    So you are saying that atomized gasoline is safer than hairspray? I rest my case.

Rick
    I'm talking about the fact that all viewers know what gasoline is, and what it is capable of, and you make a tragedy out of nothing, and offend people considering them mentally retarded.

Thanks
    I have a question? Was gasoline added to the bottle being stirred and just not show, because there was way more volume in the bottle when finished stirring. I am presuming there was.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information