Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DIY ARTICULATING HELPER ARM!!!

Supporting Member
    Thanks

orioncons36's Tools

DIY ARTICULATING HELPER ARM!!!

Making an articulating welding fixture jig/arm!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to orioncons36 For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Jan 25, 2022), asterix (Jan 25, 2022), baja (Jan 25, 2022), Beserkleyboy (Jan 28, 2022), darkoford (Jan 24, 2022), Frank S (Jan 23, 2022), jkahn (Jan 24, 2022), JoeVanGeaux (Jan 25, 2022), johncg (Jan 25, 2022), Jon (Jan 27, 2022), lassab999 (Jan 30, 2022), old_toolmaker (Jan 28, 2022), rdarrylb (Jan 25, 2022), Rikk (Jan 25, 2022), schuylergrace (Jan 24, 2022), sossol (Jan 26, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Jan 28, 2022), tooly (Jan 29, 2022), tuchie (Dec 28, 2023), yvonf (Jan 29, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I really like this build the arm IE 3rd hand assembly is robust enough for medium fabrication work. most articulating 3rd hand type builds are made just strong enough for electrical work, and there is nothing wrong with that I own a couple pair with alligator clips, I wouldn't be without them for soldering work,

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member schuylergrace's Avatar
    Thanks
    This is great! And I really like that you showed what it was for right off the bat, instead of just pointing to a pile of stuff that could end up being anything at the end of the video. When you were making up the articulating joint, I knew exactly what it was going to be, so I could pay attention to how you were getting there, rather than wondering what you were doing. The only thing I would change about the tool, other than using the materials I might happen to have on hand (not exactly what you had), would be to add some big, fat, glove-friendly knobs, or T-handles, so I wouldn't have to be chasing down a wrench every time I wanted to tighten something on it. Great job and nicely finished, too!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schuylergrace For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jan 24, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Jan 28, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks orioncons36! We've added your Articulating Third Hand to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: orioncons36's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

mlochala's Tools
    Nice! So, what's the trick to welding hardened ball bearings like that?

I tried doing something like this years back and had issues welding steel rod to the ball bearings. They didn't like each other very much, apparently.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    This type of adjustable joint is often used on photographic equipment. The ones with smooth surface balls have an annoying tendency to slowly "wilt" if a heavy camera or flood is attached. The better ones have circumferential serrations on the balls and are much more rigid when clamped.

An example of what I'm on about can be seen here...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09C882D4M...roduct_details
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Congratulations orioncons36 - your Articulating Third Hand is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

One of the nicest articulating arms we've seen, and a great use of ball bearings.

Some more good builds from this week:

Picture Frame Hanging Method by rgsparber
    Lanyard by thehomeengineer
    Shim Washer Boring Holder by Frank S
    Drill Bit Shaping and Sharpening Method by RCTURKA
    Lathe Chuck Adaptor Plate by theeddies
    Magnetic Base Drill Press by Marsh
    Silicone-based Mixtures by Kovanca Polock
    Steel Infill Miter Plane by e_m_maker
    Garage Heater by sams wood creations
    Swedish Torch by Andrii Pysarenko
    Lathe Headstock Gearbox by Vyacheslav.Nevolya
    Power Tool Flip Cart by Marsh
    Bottom Quill Nut Spacer by Frank S
    Spring Compressor by Kwandotechnic

orioncons36 - you'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

This is your 2nd Homemade Tool of the Week win. Here are both of your Homemade Tool of the Week winning tools. Congrats again

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

neilg4dbn (Feb 1, 2022)

Thanks

Karl_H's Tools
    Thanks for the share - nice tool.

Did you do any research or trials regarding the ratio of the size of the balls to the size of the holes?
    Likewise the location of the holes relative to the edge of the bracket?

I made a couple of small ones - alligator clip size - and just took a guess, but I wonder if they could have been better.

Supporting Member old_toolmaker's Avatar
    Thanks

old_toolmaker's Tools

Articulating Arm

Wow! Nicely done!
    I can definitely see the the value of this tool and it’s possible variations. I am not a welder so I would have to approach a build like this in another way.
    Thanks for posting and congratulations on a well deserved win!
    Dick
    Dick

Links to some of my plans:

https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/...965#post105972 OFF-SET TAILSTOCK CENTER PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...995#post112113 SMALL TURRET TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/l...994#post112111 LARGE TURRET TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...383#post110340 MINI-LATHE CARRIAGE LOCK PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...191#post106483 SMALL QC TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/q...849#post119345 QUICK CHANGE LATHE TURRET
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...949#post119893 MINI LATHE COMPOUND PIVOT MODIFICATION

Thanks

Bony's Tools
    I made one of these about 12 months ago and used a female threaded plastic knob in place of the nut which squeezes the ball bearings together. This very conveniently allows the tightness to be hand adjusted.
    Also if ball bearings are placed in a slow combustion wood heater for a few hours and the fire is allowed to die down to hot ashes overnight the bearings will become soft enough to drill and if drilled in a lathe the hole will be dead centre of the sphere. If the hole is just a whisker undersized the shaft can be press fit into place. This not only saves welding but allows a neater joint free of weld metal.
    I found a hole size about 10% larger than ball bearing provided the best fit and level of grip whilst allowing maximum movement within the side brackets.
    The addition of a large switchable magnet as the base also adds a very significant improvement in usability.
    Hope this helps anyone intending to make one.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bony For This Useful Post:

Karl_H (Jan 28, 2022), neilg4dbn (Feb 1, 2022), old_toolmaker (Jan 29, 2022), Philip Davies (Jan 29, 2022), schuylergrace (Jan 28, 2022)

Thread Information