Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Mezzaluna/pizza cutter

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 342 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools

Mezzaluna/pizza cutter

I wanted to make a drawknife.

One of these,
    Mezzaluna/pizza cutter-8ebf2b2b-88b7-4ccc-96eb-aaa97f959ed7.jpeg
    With an 8” blade will set you back £172 (from Axminster tools) I wanted a drawknife with a 12” blade, or longer.
    I had a tyre lever long enough.
    It was a bugger to bend. (Consider, that as you pene out the bevel, it will cause the material to bend, so you have to bend it first in the opposite direction.)
    This took quite a long time, but eventually I had bevelled the blade, with a slight concave, and drawn out tangs at each end, oriented as I wanted. I took a final heat, just to check the line.
    Mezzaluna/pizza cutter-8fe5d307-72f2-4a2d-819f-0d16d1030246.jpegMezzaluna/pizza cutter-6936ed42-5f6e-410e-8393-98e2cd736311.jpeg
    I had a mishap. A moment’s inattention and there was a burnt bit in the middle.
    That was VERY annoying.

Not willing to waste all that work ...... it was no good for a Woodworking tool, there would always be a soft spot and even if I heat treated it successfully, it might well crack in use.
    I turned the tangs around, peened out the blade again and ground it up.
    Mezzaluna/pizza cutter-acde960a-91eb-483b-89ca-87f5feb55a72.jpeg
    I think it will cut pizza. Maybe it will stay sharp to chop herbs. But it would look all right perhaps on a farmhouse kitchen wall.
    We haven’t got a farmhouse kitchen.
    Or it might cut fodder for rabbits. It looks like a garden tool, Mrs Davies observed.

The handles are recycled walnut, laminated. The rivets are from old handsaws. I do not know whether you can buy new saw handle rivets any more, but about 20 years ago they were about £1 apiece, so it’s worth salvaging an old saw, even one that’s been left to rot outside. I found a Disston like that once, 5 rivets and almost nothing else.
    The blade guard is plastic hose.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jan 27, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I knew of 'mezzaluna' ('half moons' in Italian) as a pasta variety, kind of ravioli, being stuffed. A knife too? Who knew?

Mark of a craftsman. When at first it falls short, reinvent! How many common tools aren't like what they started out as?
    Meanwhile, having a small turret lathe, is there a niche for saw rivets?

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jan 27, 2022 at 11:54 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Philip Davies's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    I knew of 'mezzaluna' ('half moons' in Italian) as a pasta variety, kind of ravioli, being stuffed. A knife too? Who knew?

Mark of a craftsman. When at first it falls short, reinvent! How many common tools aren't like what they started out as?
    Meanwhile, having a small turret lathe, is there a niche for saw rivets?
    Thank you kindly. But how many craftsmen want extra rivets for their handsaws? It appears that manufacturing them would require up to a dozen machining processes. The male half has a ribbed shank, the female is a slot screw.

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Davies View Post
    Thank you kindly. But how many craftsmen want extra rivets for their handsaws? It appears that manufacturing them would require up to a dozen machining processes. The male half has a ribbed shank, the female is a slot screw.
    The male half has a ribbed shank, the female is a slot screw.
    Knurling works on faces like diameters, and form tools......well, it's all about how many of that dozen operations are accomplished per chucking. As seen here at HMT.net an auxiliary milling spindle could slot screw heads, just need turned around.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

Philip Davies's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    The male half has a ribbed shank, the female is a slot screw.
    Knurling works on faces like diameters, and form tools......well, it's all about how many of that dozen operations are accomplished per chucking. As seen here at HMT.net an auxiliary milling spindle could slot screw heads, just need turned around.
    Mezzaluna/pizza cutter-7591c518-04e2-4f8f-8276-784c4244eebb.jpeg
    Just curious to know how long it would take to make one.Mezzaluna/pizza cutter-image.jpg

Thanks

katy's Tools
    They're called sex bolts and other names: https://www.fastenright.com/products...SAAEgKP6vD_BwE

8. The Following User Says Thank You to katy For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Jan 28, 2022)

Thanks

Philip Davies's Tools
    Well I never!

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7591C518-04E2-4F8F-8276-784C4244EEBB.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	41626
    Just curious to know how long it would take to make one.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	41627
    The ribs too far apart for conventional knurl. They likely ran in four-slides, machine figuratively a 4-sided punch press, ribs and head via simple die hits and sheared from wire spool. Process generally known as "Upsetting". Nobody will have one in garage, Phillip......

Instead a guy we all know & love has
    88 ton ironworker Mezzaluna/pizza cutter-shear_dieset.jpg,
    85 ton OBI punch press Mezzaluna/pizza cutter-in_place-jpeg.jpg,
    turret lathe Mezzaluna/pizza cutter-logan-collet-turret-leadscrew-thrd-spindle.jpg.
    1] Fed individually to head and rib (both 'coined', plastic deformation) the 'nut' 3-4 seconds each. Turret lathe, bushed in a collet for drill and tap, 10-12 seconds. 'Bolt' side same way, shank a bit oversize turn and thread acorn or geometric, maybe 15-20; no immediate solution to holding a formed part. That end could run as bar stock - turn/ face/ thread same way/ part off. Either process, slotting is singly or gang up, piece of cake.
    Overall ~ Equivalent time, but cost rises due chips and waste. Stamping a nice logo, PD comes to mind ��. <- ah hell; that should have been a funny emoji

First few hundreds or so, solution is just turned parts, with straight very coarse knurl. Dieset for 'nut' would be next. Betting a bagful not much of an issue; but initials might change.......

Quote Originally Posted by katy View Post
    They're called sex bolts and other names: https://www.fastenright.com/products...SAAEgKP6vD_BwE
    aka "Binding Screws", but most seem around 1/4" 6mm, and aluminum. Googled that, 'binding screws', with results in many diameters.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=bras...client=gws-wiz

But no initials .
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jan 28, 2022 at 10:31 AM. Reason: discambobulated format
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Jan 29, 2022)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Well I never!
    Told this before, still fun.
    I worked in an auto parts store, while finishing school. Had terrific interactions with customers, one a rampant practical joker.
    Knowing my attraction to Hispanic females; he sent an absolutely gorgeous doll in after carburetor fittings. No one had cell phones, I-Pads, google search, electronic assistants; of course.

She read off her handwritten list - 3/8" bulkhead, barbs, couplers, compression what not. I don't think she was given all the details purposely.

List didn't specify male or female, so with all my usual customer friendly professional manner, calmly asked "male or female?".
    She answered in complete sincerity and innocence "What's the difference"?

The whole counter went into a roar. I picked up a sample and demonstrated how they worked.
    WE made a friend, they looked at their feet.

After all these years, interacting components are still classified by gender. I cannot conceive how the nonsense [IYKWIM] came to be.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Jan 29, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Philip Davies! We've added your Pizza Cutter to our Culinary category,
    as well as to your builder page: Philip Davies's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information