Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening a pencil on a lathe - GIF and comic

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts

Sharpening a pencil on a lathe - GIF and comic

Sharpening a pencil on a lathe.

Previously:

Carving Eiffel Tower in a pencil GIF
    How pencils are made - GIF
    using pencils for woodturning

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Dec 12, 2018), high-side (Dec 12, 2018), jimfols (Jan 29, 2022), PJs (Dec 12, 2018), Seedtick (Dec 11, 2018), Sleykin (Dec 7, 2023), Toolmaker51 (Mar 3, 2019)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Good one Jon.

2000 Tool Plans
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Well, they wouldn't approve my eraser.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Yep but they would have no problem with a $400.00 5 sided 3 mm allen wrench or a $2000.00 hammer with a retractable lanyard
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member TrickieDickie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Will a HSS tool suffice or is carbide required

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Yep but they would have no problem with a $400.00 5 sided 3 mm allen wrench or a $2000.00 hammer with a retractable lanyard
    ONLY if you're the government! Though a banker can apparently claim the $220K he spent on strip clubs as a business expense...

BTW, you know that the reason that stuff costs so much is the Congress of the United States established organizations to define the standards those tools and parts must meet? And then to enforce them? Can't just order a hammer or a toilet seat for a C-130. Must order from a vendor that ensures all the standards are met by a manufacturer who meets those standards, including minority ownership, material sourced only in the US unless there were clear reasons why you had to go elsewhere. As a USAF photographer from 1976 to 1985, I mostly used NIKON F camera for 35mm film, since no one in the US made a better camera. The film was made by Kodak, since they were a US manufacturer who more-or-less owned a few congresscritters. Go buy a 10-32 panhead screw certified for aircraft use. I dare you! Did I mention that before I became a photographer for Uncle Sam, I was an F-111D fighter/bomber aircraft mechanic? And the toolbox the USAF supplied me, that weighed in at 200lbs, or more than I did, was full of Globemaster tools and wrenches. Working in supply must have been a helluva gig.

Bill

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jan 28, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    WmRMeyers hit it on the head; starting with what makes ISO look infantile "Must order from a vendor that ensures all the standards are met by a manufacturer who meets those standards". It's known as MIL-SPEC MIL-STD. Individual services have amplifying requirements, as they operate in different spheres. ie salt water corrosion differs from that occurring in space.

I can relate exact same conditions;
    handling and living on the first NUCLEAR CARRIER,
    building the world's best tape recorders THE ONLY ONE SUITED FOR SPACE LAUNCH_FLIGHT_ENVIRONMENT_RECOVERY, 1" reel to reel BTW,
    all kinds of SPACE SHUTTLE COMPONENTS,
    and top of the heap WORLDS SAFEST [yet incredibly destructive] PRODUCT.

A great failing of cable show "How It's Made" neglects more important "Why It's Made", and "Who It's Made For".

Man-o-man, got my rant hat on today.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jan 28, 2022 at 10:55 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    WmRMeyers hit it on the head; starting with what makes ISO look infantile "Must order from a vendor that ensures all the standards are met by a manufacturer who meets those standards". It's known as MIL-SPEC MIL-STD. Individual services have amplifying requirements, as they operate in different spheres. ie salt water corrosion differs from that occurring in space.

I can relate exact same conditions;
    handling and living on the first NUCLEAR CARRIER,
    building the world's best tape recorders THE ONLY ONE SUITED FOR SPACE LAUNCH_FLIGHT_ENVIRONMENT_RECOVERY, 1" reel to reel BTW,
    all kinds of SPACE SHUTTLE COMPONENTS,
    and top of the heap WORLDS SAFEST [yet incredibly destructive] PRODUCT.

A great failing of cable show "How It's Made" neglects more important "Why It's Made", and "Who It's Made For".

Man-o-man, got my rant hat on today.
    Let it out, and don't try to hold it in, or it will ruin your liver and your outlook on life!

Way I rant, I may be good to 160 years!

Am reminded of having print out the frag order (document that told all the units in theater what air power was available, what it was tasked for, and when and where it would be applied, i.e., where to go, and who to shoot when they got there) to helicopter out to the aircraft carrier so they could break out their portions for the air war portion of Desert Storm. My unit ran the air war. We had to coordinate with the Marine, Navy, and Army air wings as much as our own and the NATO allies. Navy could handle the stuff for the Marine Corps, fortunately. But their equipment was not compatible with ours. Specifically because of the salt-water tolerance issues, and it had been that way for decades. For all I know, it may still be so, but one of the terminals we used got strapped to the deck of the USS America in the Indian Ocean later in the 90's, and we had satellite comm passing clear around the world. The idea was to make us all Purple. To have us all be interoperable the next time a war breaks out. I've got something of a vested interest in it, seeing as my oldest daughter was on the USS Harry S Truman when the Iranians were launching missiles over her back in the day. I do not know where she or her husband are these days, but I hope their vessels can at least communicate war-related data to all the armed forces of the United States now.

Bill <--- it's in God's hands, ain't nothing I can do about it now.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Don't blame us Jon, you started it
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    I've been thinking about the guy who thought it would take $100K of tools to make this device. I went to Harbor Freight's website and put everything I thought he might possibly need from them to do the job, and it came to a bit over $2310, including shipping, handling charges, and OK sales tax. 7x12 mini-lathe and tooling, wood and metalworking bandsaws with blades, angle grinder and sander, with 4.5 & 7 inch wheels. Could have gotten a bench grinder and belt sander for another couple of hundred dollars, with belts and grinding wheels. Though I could do it with what I have here and not touch the lathe, or any of the bandsaws. It can't be that tough a job, can it? Maybe if it was my 3rd stepfather. He was utterly useless with cars and trucks, and worse than I am in the garden. Somebody needs to get some books and start playing.

Bill

13. The Following User Says Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jan 28, 2022)

Thread Information