Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Great Lakes ship sinking scenarios - infographic

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,257 Times in 9,724 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

baja (May 22, 2022), byates (Jan 22, 2023), carloski (May 17, 2022), cmarlow (May 17, 2022), durrelltn (May 17, 2022), EnginePaul (May 17, 2022), johncg (May 18, 2022), KustomsbyKent (May 17, 2022), mccwho (May 26, 2022), nova_robotics (May 17, 2022), Toolmaker51 (May 19, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    And the moral of this story is build, better boats. If the large ships could be modularized like a flotilla of medium sized barges 2 abreast 3 long they would be far less likely to succumb to many of the hazards

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    A good start, but you must also count upon the wind and the ice in addition to the waves, The wind can drive a ship onto rocks (reefs) or onto the shore. Sometimes ships have to hide from the wind behind islands, possibly with anchors out and screws turning to prevent them being driven down the wind.
    There are two ways ice is a danger
    The ice freezing on the ship can build up to the point of capsizing or breaking the ship.
    The ice forming in the water can lock a ship into place and prevent it from moving. Ships have been damaged by the ice.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by cmarlow View Post
    A good start, but you must also count upon the wind and the ice in addition to the waves, The wind can drive a ship onto rocks (reefs) or onto the shore. Sometimes ships have to hide from the wind behind islands, possibly with anchors out and screws turning to prevent them being driven down the wind.
    There are two ways ice is a danger
    The ice freezing on the ship can build up to the point of capsizing or breaking the ship.
    The ice forming in the water can lock a ship into place and prevent it from moving. Ships have been damaged by the ice.
    Nothing much can be done about ice and wind, I read some history books about early shipping on the great lakes where ships would become ice bound. to prevent or lessen the hull damage to their wooden vessels the crew would unload the cargo and sometimes even the tons of rock ballast onto the ice in hopes to be able to allow the ship to rise high enough that most of the hull would be lifted above the danger point, Then try and judge when to begin reloading before the thaw was too far advanced preventing the total loss of cargo. Lots of hard work even for the hardy sailors of the time period
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Edgar B. Speer with extra pounds from all the ice. Coming from Lake Superior in a storm

Great Lakes ship sinking scenarios - infographic-96b385683f845c8f6c0bc5dc2cfd929c.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cmarlow For This Useful Post:

mccwho (May 26, 2022)

Thread Information