Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: A Simplified Electronic Edge Finder

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools

A Simplified Electronic Edge Finder

While I documented my last Electronic Edge Finder (EEF) I was also thinking about the next version. This new iteration trades less sensitivity for fewer parts and gains an automatic defense against probe crashes. It is compatible with CNC systems and has the same mechanical accuracy as the rest of my EEFs.

Using six resistors, one capacitor, two transistors, an LED, and a dual comparator, this EEF detects touchdown when the spindle resistance is greater than 1 ohm.

If you are interested, please, click here.

Your comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

Thanks,

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

Jon (May 26, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks rgsparber! We've added your Electronic Edge Finder to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: rgsparber's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    You may notice that I have simplified this circuit a bit more. The transistors are gone along with one resistor.

Rick
    Rick

Supporting Member Paul Alciatore's Avatar
    Thanks

Paul Alciatore's Tools
    Hi Rick,

You may remember me, Paul Alciatore; we corresponded about an earlier version edge finder you were developing. I do like and support your effort in this arena. Edge finding is an area that definitely can be improved. I am surprised that none of your versions has been picked up by a manufacturer.

I am looking at your web document in the above link and am a bit confused. The schematic, which is shown multiple times in that document, perhaps to make reading it easier, shows four wires that are connected to the spindle, the body of the machine, and perhaps to the part itself. But it is not clear which wire is connected where.

I am guessing that the two connections labeled "to machine body" are connected at the vicinity of the part (on the table or in a vise). But how? Are they just connected together at that connection point and then that connection is made to the part or the table/vise. Or perhaps one goes to the part and the other to the table/vise so Rpart is seen between them. This is not clear.

Then the spindle connection is equally unclear. Again there are two wires. But no clarification as to how they are connected to the spindle, to the body of the machine near the spindle or to the probe itself.

Perhaps the analysis makes this clear, but I haven't gone through it yet.
    Paul A.

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    Hi Rick,

You may remember me, Paul Alciatore; we corresponded about an earlier version edge finder you were developing. I do like and support your effort in this arena. Edge finding is an area that definitely can be improved. I am surprised that none of your versions has been picked up by a manufacturer.

I am looking at your web document in the above link and am a bit confused. The schematic, which is shown multiple times in that document, perhaps to make reading it easier, shows four wires that are connected to the spindle, the body of the machine, and perhaps to the part itself. But it is not clear which wire is connected where.

I am guessing that the two connections labeled "to machine body" are connected at the vicinity of the part (on the table or in a vise). But how? Are they just connected together at that connection point and then that connection is made to the part or the table/vise. Or perhaps one goes to the part and the other to the table/vise so Rpart is seen between them. This is not clear.

Then the spindle connection is equally unclear. Again there are two wires. But no clarification as to how they are connected to the spindle, to the body of the machine near the spindle or to the probe itself.

Perhaps the analysis makes this clear, but I haven't gone through it yet.
    Hi Paul. Of course, I remember you. The two wires labeled "to spindle" connect to the spindle via a magnet. The two wires marked "to machine body" connect to separate places inside the metal enclosure. When this enclosure rests on the mill's table, it forms a low resistance connection.

I've updated the article to hopefully reduce your confusion. Please let me know if this helps or hurts.

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

Thread Information