Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Raising hinges

Thanks
    Baddog, could you make a sketch a picture is worth a thousand words. The gate is made of square pipe with the wall of 3millimiters and wit sheet metal it is heavy and 2.50 meters wide by 2.00 meters.
    There s a gap below the gate oy 40 mm, what I did was to put a straight bar along the lenght of the gate with a level on top of the it then pivot the the bar the same radius or arc the gate will make then measure how much lift it was needed to clear the ground it is 20 millimeter.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

Baddog's Tools
    Salt fever provided the image 2 posts before your last post.

Ideally you want the hinge pins on the same axis. So, imagine the pins are a single rod 2 meters long. Normally, that would be vertical making the gate swing horizontally. But you apparently need a 20mm rise when the gate is 90* to closed on one side (down on the other). If I didn't make a mistake, you only need to kick the bottom of the rod out 0.5*, which would be around 17 mm toward the up hill side. Note that's the "rod", which effectively assumes the top and bottom hinge are at the top and bottom of the 2 meter height, so likely needs tweaking depending on actual hinge location.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thank you everybody for your help. My idea is to put a ball join at the end of the bottom hinge when the gate opens it pivots.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information