Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: John Deere grader axle bearing and seal installation tool

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools

John Deere grader axle bearing and seal installation tool

My mechanic neighbor called me up this afternoon, said he is working on a John Deere grader and needed a way to install the axle bearing and seal. It actually takes 2 special tools to accomplish this 1 is simply a 4" OD tube with a 3 3/4" ID with the ends machined true to each other and 9 1/2" long the other is a plate 3/16 to 1/4" thick split diagonally with a center hole large enough to clear the micro sleeve on the spindle.
    Here is what I made for him
    First I lucked out and found a piece of round tubing the correct OD
    cut it squared the ends and did a slight cleanup to the bore
    John Deere grader axle bearing and seal installation tool-img_20220625_135016jdd.jpg
    John Deere grader axle bearing and seal installation tool-img_20220625_142823jdd.jpg
    Next I squared a 1/4" Plate to 8x8"
    John Deere grader axle bearing and seal installation tool-img_20220625_131643jdd.jpg
    Chucked it in the 4 jaw and made the center hole
    John Deere grader axle bearing and seal installation tool-img_20220625_160850jdd.jpg
    the finished tool
    John Deere grader axle bearing and seal installation tool-img_20220625_162323jdd.jpg
    What the manual says
    John Deere grader axle bearing and seal installation tool-img_20220625_162428jdr.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mr mikey (Jun 26, 2022), sossol (Jun 28, 2022), thevillageinn (Jul 24, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Grader Axle Bearing and Seal Installation Tools to our Heavy Equipment category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

mr mikey's Tools
    Nice tool Frank, when I started building Allison automatic transmissions the service manuals would have drawings like you have shown here. I did have our machine shop make a few but I never made one myself. My old trick was a collection of old bearing races. Thanks Frank. Mr Mikey.

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    This was before John Deere figured out how to prevent anyone but their dealer from doing repairs.
    And they gave the drawings for the tools manufacture. Seems odd, as even my 1956 Chevy truck shop manual calls out tools by GM part numbers.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    This was before John Deere figured out how to prevent anyone but their dealer from doing repairs.
    And they gave the drawings for the tools manufacture. Seems odd, as even my 1956 Chevy truck shop manual calls out tools by GM part numbers.
    All of Caterpillar manuals were that way as well usually showing several; pictures of them in use though. When you have the pictures and the parts it is usually not too hard to create your own tool. I must have made 100s of tools for the mechanics when I worked in a privately owned Cat rebuild shop
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    All of Caterpillar manuals were that way as well usually showing several; pictures of them in use though. When you have the pictures and the parts it is usually not too hard to create your own tool. I must have made 100s of tools for the mechanics when I worked in a privately owned Cat rebuild shop
    I make bearing and seal installation tools as well. Life is good when you have a lathe and mill.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    My usual trick is to use old bearing internal and external races (taper roller, roller or ball race) and place one cut through the race with 1.5mm cut off wheel. This allows some flex in the races allowing easy removal.Dress the cut edges smooth and with a small radius so as to not damage the shaft or housing when installing the new bearing. Also usually weld a couple of small pieces of steel as lugs on the race that are out of the way to facilitate removal once the bearing or seal is installed.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information