Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Getting my Russian shop set up

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by meyer77 View Post
    How are the prices on steel and lumber there? The price has come down a little here W NC, USA a 2x4x8 was a little over $5.00 last week, it was over $10.00 a few months ago.
    price per meter

50 x 25 x 1.8 tube, 230.00 ₽
    50 x 50 x 2.0 tube, 256.00 ₽
    25 x 25 x 3 angle, 106.00 ₽
    32 x 32 x 3 angle, 165.00 ₽
    10 x 10 square bar, 90.23 ₽
    12 x 12 square bar, 127.71 ₽
    1250 x 2500 x 0.4 galvanized sheet metal, 1,485.00 ₽ per sheet
    2440 x 1220 x 12 OSB, 1,850.00 ₽ per sheet
    6mm rebar, 20.98 ₽
    8mm rebar, 33.73 ₽

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    What is the exchange rate on that?
    I feel your pain about moving, about 10years ago I moved from NJ to WV and moved a lathe light 10" South bend with 45" bed on home built bench, a mill, a cutter grinder and other shop tools (All heavy) at that time I had a neighbor with a back hoe who helped me.
    After 6 years in WV the wife decided we should move some where with less snow.
    I moved every thing except cutter grinder and 24"x24" surface plate, this time I had no one to help at new location.
    I told my wife after the move, the next time I move it will be in an Urn!

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by meyer77 View Post
    What is the exchange rate on that?
    I feel your pain about moving, about 10years ago I moved from NJ to WV and moved a lathe light 10" South bend with 45" bed on home built bench, a mill, a cutter grinder and other shop tools (All heavy) at that time I had a neighbor with a back hoe who helped me.
    After 6 years in WV the wife decided we should move some where with less snow.
    I moved every thing except cutter grinder and 24"x24" surface plate, this time I had no one to help at new location.
    I told my wife after the move, the next time I move it will be in an Urn!
    1 ruble = $0.0185 USD

Our biggest problem currently is being American citizens just on the other side of the Azov Sea from where the fighting is. A few people in high places don't like that, no matter how much community support we have (we have more friends here than we ever had in the USA).

Getting my Russian shop set up-friend.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Snow vs never having snow.
    I moved from SoCal to Missouri. It wasn't so much the climate change, just more defined seasons, if that makes sense. Pack way summer clothes, pull out fall, big deal. Wife's (Austrian) saying "There isn't bad weather, just bad clothing".

The real measure; difficultly getting a building running here is nothing like impossibility of attaining same there. I literally bought a structure, had flat roof cut away entirely, replaced by free span trusses for equivalent ~6.5 years leasing or rent would have been, by square feet alone.
    Not considering features gained; loading dock high, 16' ceiling, 3 big doors, commercial zoning on a thoroughfare, freestanding, decent space on 3 sides, to name a few.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Snow vs never having snow.
    I moved from SoCal to Missouri. It wasn't so much the climate change, just more defined seasons, if that makes sense. Pack way summer clothes, pull out fall, big deal. Wife's (Austrian) saying "There isn't bad weather, just bad clothing".

The real measure; difficultly getting a building running here is nothing like impossibility of attaining same there. I literally bought a structure, had flat roof cut away entirely, replaced by free span trusses for equivalent ~6.5 years leasing or rent would have been, by square feet alone.
    Not considering features gained; loading dock high, 16' ceiling, 3 big doors, commercial zoning on a thoroughfare, freestanding, decent space on 3 sides, to name a few.
    And that's just his living room!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jdurand For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jun 26, 2022)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    And that's just his living room!

It would have been; but decided at our ages, getting rural property set that way very impractical. And eventual possibility in disposing of one would jeopardize the other.
    A home in town, building a short distance away; best combination. If not carrying anything large, a few minutes bike ride.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

mr mikey (Jun 26, 2022)

Thanks

mr mikey's Tools
    Lumber has come down. 1-1/2 yrs. ago I was in the middle of putting in a new floor in a 15x25 room. Before the pandemic I priced 1/2 plywood 4'x8' $28.00 a sheet. When I was finally ready the price per sheet was $66.00. I needed 15 sheets to start. The guy said did you hit the lottery? LOL. What could I do, had to have it. Mr Mikey.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    I'm just checking in to say we're alive and healthy. Due to current events we're on an extended trip away from home and the shop. We hope to be back soon.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jdurand For This Useful Post:

IntheGroove (Oct 21, 2022)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    I'm just checking in to say we're alive and healthy. Due to current events we're on an extended trip away from home and the shop. We hope to be back soon.
    We'll bet not one travel poster or real estate office made tiniest mention of potential for certain kinds of events.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Well, mostly healthy. Hurt my knee* and using a cane for a while. Mr dr emailed a prescription so at least I don't wake the neighbors with my screaming.

She will have me in for a full exam when I get home. Hopefully nothing too major.

I guess I now have to learn the skill of waving my cane at the young whipper-snappers on the lawn.

* A decades old injury that hadn't bothered me since dirt was young I hurt it now getting in and out of the bed/couch in this apartment. I have to climb over the almost padded arms of the couch to get to my side. Kneeling on the hard arms did it.

I guess I could say it's a bedroom injury.

I really look forward to getting home...

Thread Information