Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Turntable base for a fixed base cold cut saw

Thanks

Turntable base for a fixed base cold cut saw

I’m looking for a easy way to mount my bench mount cold cut saw to a swivel type base to allow me to cut steel at a number of different angles

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by michaelstrong1974; Jun 29, 2022 at 07:54 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    We'll need photos of saw first.
    Swivel won't accomplish a thing without preserving the 'cold' part; flow and recovery of coolant. A guess says swiveling the head, instead of swiveling the vise is long way 'round the barn.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Assuming; 1) You are trying to keep long stock fully supported while cutting. 2) You do not want to move the stands.

Even if you swivel the whole saw, you still have to swivel the vise if you are going to use it to hold the stock. Mount the saw on a turntable what pivots around the same point the saw vise pivots around. That way when you pivot the saw, the vise will stay in the same position. You will just have to adjust it to match the new angle of saw.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    hemmjo is correct; the commercial saws pivot the saw motor in the base, adapting to long stock. Even miter wood saws pivot this way; my visualization was wrong. I do know it's worthwhile to have infeed-outfeed tables for stock, used gravity roller conveyors can be found at reasonable price; sometimes.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    A very worthwhile project. Something I have been trying to get to for a while now. In a small shop, pivoting the saw and not having to maneuver the long stock is a huge benefit. I plan on having a wall rack for the stock and incorporate the pivoting saw in a roller table all part of the wall rack. I found a complete Makita cut-off saw on Craig's List for free. It had bad motor bearings but I only want the swivel base assembly. I will adapt my existing dry saw to fit this setup. Sorry about the incomplete nature of the pictures. I just wanted to reinforce your idea and hemmjo's post about using an existing system.

Turntable base for a fixed base cold cut saw-saw-3.jpgTurntable base for a fixed base cold cut saw-saw-2.jpg.Turntable base for a fixed base cold cut saw-saw-1.jpg

Thanks
    Yes I have also been thinking along the same lines , it would be much easier to modify an existing pivoting system. I will have to keep an eye out on the internet market places . As for the clamping system I would probably have that mounted more to the left and remove the existing clamp set up . Unless someone has different ideas on dealing with this problem?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I believe if cutting long stock, the vise does not need to be so close to the cut. Most miter saws have a clamping system mounted on the backside of the fence that presses down on the stock. The stock bears against the back fence, the clamp presses it down. The most difficult stock to cut would be rounds, where they try to spin, so they must be securely clamped.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information