Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Machinist Vise and Milling/Drilling Vise Stops

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools

Machinist Vise and Milling/Drilling Vise Stops

I made the one for the Wilton drill press vise a while back. The vise was modified with a much larger guide block to reduce lift.
    The stop I made for that one worked fine on that vise but was too large for my 3" machinist vise that I use on the mill.
    It worked but was a bit large for small parts.

I made a new one that just fits the machinist vise but is kinda small for the Wilton. That is ok.
    We now have a set of two. The one for the machinist vise using a drill blank extension to allow
    milling of small parts while being able to move the cutter almost to the top surface of the vise
    and stay out of the cutters reach.

Cheers, JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Machinist Vise and Milling/Drilling Vise Stops-img_1101.jpg   Machinist Vise and Milling/Drilling Vise Stops-img_1102.jpg   Machinist Vise and Milling/Drilling Vise Stops-img_1103.jpg   Machinist Vise and Milling/Drilling Vise Stops-img_1104.jpg   Machinist Vise and Milling/Drilling Vise Stops-img_1105.jpg  

Machinist Vise and Milling/Drilling Vise Stops-img_1106.jpg   Machinist Vise and Milling/Drilling Vise Stops-img_1107.jpg   Machinist Vise and Milling/Drilling Vise Stops-img_1108.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

aphilipmarcou (Feb 11, 2018), Frank S (Feb 11, 2018), Home-PC (Aug 14, 2022), LMMasterMariner (May 2, 2017), Paul Jones (May 3, 2017), Scotty1 (Aug 13, 2022), Seedtick (May 2, 2017), Toolmaker51 (May 3, 2017), Tule (May 4, 2017), Woodgeezr (May 3, 2017), zarembak (Oct 8, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks jjr2001! We've added your Vise Stop to our Machining category,
    as well as to your builder page: jjr2001's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (May 2, 2017)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

petertha's Tools
    I like your vise stop, especially the adjustable sliding clamp. Question - I'm looking at the slit that connects the two rod holes & assume it was milled? If so, did you mill it from both sides because it looks kind of deep for the diameter to be done from one side, but hard to tell just eyeballing the dimensions

6. The Following User Says Thank You to petertha For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Feb 12, 2018)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    For deep slots like this I find it best to first drill multiple holes through the entire slot. The holes are spaced very close together and the edges of the holes will actually overlap. It is then much less work for the mill to clear out the remaining metal. My mill is a small one so the drilling out as much metal as possible really speeds up the process and reduces the wear on the end mill. Once the holes are drilled the end mill is used by stepping down about .050" and clearing the slot. Passes are made until the slot is cleared but rough. Finish passes are then made full length on both sides of the slot.

Cheers, JR

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    In my book the best vise stops do not attach onto jaw itself...but into body of the non-moving side, just as jjr2001 describes.
    I'll offer an easy work-around of slotting this variety of clamp.

a] Lightly sand or surface grind two plates of desired clamp size, a good proportion is width 3-5 times the rod diameter, with the pair twice rod diameter in thickness.
    b] Drill and tap one side, clearance drill the other, this will provide clamping action via a screw. 1/4-20 or 28 is satisfactory.
    c] Clamp both face to face in machine vise, with 2 thicknesses of paper in between.
    e] Edge find for the middle, distance from end and spacing hole to hole. I like offsetting holes from center to make re-orientation easy.
    f] Center, pilot, and drill [or ream] to size.
    Bingo!
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Jun 11, 2018), tooly (Aug 12, 2022)

Thanks
    What is the thread size of your 3" machinist vise mounting points? I have similar vices but can not figure the size I have tried all my available threads nothing seems to fit.

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    "Mounting Points?", unsure whether the question is directed to jjr2001 or myself.

There is no way to predict size across brands, and so many look alike, branding vs manufacturer is a toss up.
    Predominately, a steel body might carry fine threads, an iron casting is certain to be tapped coarse, as would be aluminum. This applies whether the threading is US imperial, British imperial/ whitworth (if its older), and most probable is metric. Few people have samples in each thread form, I'd take it to a fastener house.
    Three simple alternatives; 1] converting to closest or next larger size, unless its a commercially made grinding vise; those are through hardened.
    2] Design a clamp-on stop.
    3] Build a table mounted stop. All things considered, these are the most universal.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    "Mounting Points?", unsure whether the question is directed to jjr2001 or myself.

There is no way to predict size across brands, and so many look alike, branding vs manufacturer is a toss up.
    Predominately, a steel body might carry fine threads, an iron casting is certain to be tapped coarse, as would be aluminum. This applies whether the threading is US imperial, British imperial/ whitworth (if its older), and most probable is metric. Few people have samples in each thread form, I'd take it to a fastener house.
    Three simple alternatives; 1] converting to closest or next larger size, unless its a commercially made grinding vise; those are through hardened.
    2] Design a clamp-on stop.
    3] Build a table mounted stop. All things considered, these are the most universal.
    Hi Toolmaker51 my Question was referred to jjr2001 he has the vices with hardened body, same has mine so not possible to alter threads, mine appear to be some odd ball type.

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Regarding odd threads, when I run into that issue, I go through my metric screws as gauges - there are few intermediate sizes 5.0mm to 12mm or so that have finer than normal, but aren't "specials".
    You might be able to cast a silicone sample that would help measuring the pitch, drill bits or gauge pins for the minor diameter. The silicone only needs to occupy one half the hole.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    Hello Tooly and TM51,
    I don't know what the threads were on the stock vise.
    I have made my stop universal (for my shop) in that I fit it on several vises.

My stop rod is threaded 1/4-20 on one end and 5/16-24 on the other.
    This arrangement fits all my vises.

I believe that I simply drilled out the original threads with a .201" drill bit
    and then threaded it 1/4-20.

Anyhow that is how mine is setup.

Cheers, JR

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Back to the shop.

Thread Information