Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 6" casing puller for horizontal drilling operation

Thanks
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools

6" casing puller for horizontal drilling operation

A guy from the construction company who has been working in my area installing fiber optic lines ot replace our copper telephone lines asked me to make him a puller so he could drag a 6" pipe through a bore hole. This is what I made for him.
    First I laid out a cut pattern for reducing the OD of a piece of scrap 7" casing pipe I had laying around
    6" casing puller for horizontal drilling operation-img_20220809_144219poo.jpg
    Next after heating and bending the finger cuts over to start the tapered OD I used half of a 4" pipe union as a forming die and my shop press to close the fingers completing the taper before welding the cuts
    6" casing puller for horizontal drilling operation-img_20220809_154255poo.jpg

6" casing puller for horizontal drilling operation-img_20220809_155323opp.jpg

6" casing puller for horizontal drilling operation-img_20220809_155509poo.jpg
    After welding up the cuts I made a pair of Pad eyes and welded them into the reduced opening so a clevis and swivel could be attached for pulling, the pad eyes extend inside the cone a couple inches and are welded from inside as well they align up with the slot in the puller to allow for it being spread open to fit over the pipe
    6" casing puller for horizontal drilling operation-img_20220809_172753poo.jpg
    Finally holes were cross drilled to allow a couple bolts to be inserted through the pipe and to clamp the puller to tighten it on the pipe
    6" casing puller for horizontal drilling operation-img_20220810_092334poo.jpg.
    A piece of 6" PVC used to demonstrate how the puller must be slightly spread open demonstrating the snugness of the fit the paint is done with KBS fusion primer and KBS moisture cured topcoat I only painted it so the workers might figure it as a tool to be kept and maybe not just considered of a piece of scrap iron after the job is done
    6" casing puller for horizontal drilling operation-img_20220810_120137poo.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Frank S; Aug 11, 2022 at 07:21 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Aug 12, 2022), blkadder (Aug 19, 2022), DIYer (Aug 12, 2022), durrelltn (Aug 12, 2022), Improvised DIY (Aug 17, 2022), Inner (Aug 12, 2022), Jon (Aug 12, 2022), KustomsbyKent (Aug 11, 2022), metric_taper (Aug 11, 2022), neilbourjaily (Aug 11, 2022), nova_robotics (Aug 11, 2022), Philip Davies (Aug 16, 2022), Scotty1 (Aug 19, 2022)

Dry Creek Smithing
    Supporting Member

Thanks
    Frank, Love it! Great idea and good engineering too! I would like to ask you tell the guy that as part of your payment he has to video the puller being used and send it to you. Then you could share it with us. Be super seeing it used. Thanks for sharing it.
    Doug
    D.C. Smithing

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Casing Puller to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Creek Smithing View Post
    Frank, Love it! Great idea and good engineering too! I would like to ask you tell the guy that as part of your payment he has to video the puller being used and send it to you. Then you could share it with us. Be super seeing it used. Thanks for sharing it.
    Doug
    D.C. Smithing
    Most contractors I have known are more interested in completing their job than competing with movie producers. A video of that thing would be pretty boring just connect it to the pipe attach the clevis and swivel remove the drill bit from the end of the drill stem attach the swivel to the end of the drill stem and begin backing out of the hole not much that could be seen other than that, but when he comes to pick up another item I am making for him I'll ask.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    AS expected, no video was made at least not one made yet he told me when he came and picked up the
    12inch over bore reamer for horizontal drilling
    He did say though the way I made it worked out far better than any of the other pullers he had, had made, since it had to be spread open slightly to insert the pipe instead of a loose fit made everything seem to go a lot smoother, They pulled the 100 foot string of 6" PVC through the first time without a hitch

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,782 Times in 11,321 Posts
    Congratulations Frank S - your Casing Puller is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

A big week around here, but this is a rare and nicely executed tool build. It's good to hear that it worked out well too.

Some more good builds from this week:

Reamer by AB-SHOP
    Lathe Faceplate Shaft by AB-SHOP
    Plasma Circle Cutting Jig by warsztatOdZera
    Collet Rack by AB-SHOP
    Hex Wrench Handle by rgsparber
    Keyway Cleanup File by Frank S
    Nut & Bolt ID Board by Make Things
    Ball Turner by vasavoir kikela
    Overbore Reamer by Frank S
    Bandsaw Blade Drift Fix by Make Things
    Lathe Die Holder by mariost
    Bicycle Bar Ends by Mr. Factotum's Workshop
    Thin Strip Jig by Make Things

Frank S - you'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

More importantly, this is your 10th Homemade Tool of the Week win! I've just added the golden wrench-on-pedestal graphic to the awards showcase in your postbit, visible underneath your avatar.

You join these eight other 10-time winners: rgsparber, rossbotics, Christophe Mineau, mklotz, Vyacheslav.Nevolya, Tuomas, tonyfoale, and Stevohdee. Congratulations again and good job

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Aug 19, 2022)

Thread Information