Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Axle stands

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 406 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Wow! I am so pleased and grateful this means so much to be recognised by fellow craftsman and craftswomen.

Unfortunately, I have had a strange week trying to service my bandsaw as per a previous post on HMT http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/t...-bandsaw-67518 so not much productivity on any new projects.

I am going to post another tool I made several years ago to help aid the build of my model steam engines and hope this will create as much interest as the previous tools I have posted and help fellow members on this site to provoke ideas for designs and improvements to workshop equipment. http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/h...nap-tool-67560

Once again, I thank all who like my posts and I enjoy reading and learning from other people who post on the forum.
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by thehomeengineer; Apr 28, 2018 at 11:54 PM. Reason: link post

Thanks
    Не погано зробити підкоси теж на штифтах. Для більшої безпеки. Трикутник це дуже жестка фігура.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    the pins and securing clips beautifully made and finished. can you tell us more about those please

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by sniffipn View Post
    the pins and securing clips beautifully made and finished. can you tell us more about those please
    Hi
    The pins, are called linch pins and are very cheap to purchase different lengths, diameters and are passivated. So unfortunately I didn’t make them. But they wouldn’t be difficult but cost against materials and time to me it makes more sense to purchase items like this.
    The Home Engineer

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    thanks
    Axle stands-cinchpin.jpg

Thanks
    Maybe im lost but I like the design but cannot find the plans anywhere to see the cut list for the tubing! Where can I find this information?

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Unfortunately there are no plans I made it up as I went along. Grabbed my trolley jack and built them up from there. I used two size box sections that fitted each other to give a good clearance fit so things wouldn’t jam up, but thick enough wall for strength. 3mm (1/8”). All holes had a 1mm clearance, (11mm hole) so the lynchpins (10mm diameter pins) could easily be fitted in place once under my van. The webs were made from 3mm (1/8”) plate. A mistake I did make, was the socket that fits into the jack was to snug a fit so eventually removed the cup from the jack and bored it 1mm to a clearance fit on the stand.

Depending on type of jack you have will determine the size of the axle stands to make, there is no point making the stands too big if the jack hasn’t got the height.
    Hope this helps and look forward to seeing your axle stands on HMT
    The Home Engineer
    Last edited by thehomeengineer; Apr 26, 2023 at 09:40 AM.

Thanks
    Thank you for that info. I have access to a CNC bandsaw so I wanted to see if there was a specific angle the box sections were cut at before trying to draw up my own. It does make sense that it will be jack dependent on height and width.

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tools2023 View Post
    Thank you for that info. I have access to a CNC bandsaw so I wanted to see if there was a specific angle the box sections were cut at before trying to draw up my own. It does make sense that it will be jack dependent on height and width.
    From memory I think it was 15 degrees. Again the closer to vertical the stronger it would be.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information