Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Upsizing a Bench Grinder

Supporting Member Improvised DIY's Avatar
    Thanks

Improvised DIY's Tools

Upsizing a Bench Grinder

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

greenie's Tools
    I can see a major problem with doing that, if you have a weak small motor fitted to the grinder, by adding that extra big grinding wheel, it will STOP as soon as you apply any decent pressure to that grinding wheel. Instead of being a tight arse, go buy a new grinder with a BIGGER motor and it will work much easier than that little weak grinder you have now. -------------- You are only putting lip stick on a pig, with what you have done. :-)

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    I can see a major problem with doing that, if you have a weak small motor fitted to the grinder, by adding that extra big grinding wheel, it will STOP as soon as you apply any decent pressure to that grinding wheel. Instead of being a tight arse, go buy a new grinder with a BIGGER motor and it will work much easier than that little weak grinder you have now. -------------- You are only putting lip stick on a pig, with what you have done. :-)
    That's great advise for folks with plenty of money. Doesn't work all that well for folks who are not so well off financially, or for several other possible reasons. I'm 67 years old, closing on 68. Just bought my first 8" bench grinder. I've lived with a 5" or 6" grinder, often hand-cranked, for most of that time. When I was really flush, as a young guy of 43, I bought a second 6" grinder. The 8" unit is a combination bench grinder and polisher from Harbor Freight, and the only reason I got it was that it was used, and about half-off on the replacement price. $63.99, IIRC. It vibrates a bit, probably because of the cheap chinese grinding wheel. One of these days I'll put it on stand, and give it good dressing, and see if that helps. Picked it up last week, tried it out so I could take it back within the 5-day window, if needed. Works fine but for a bit of vibration. I am a cheap bastrich. Wanna guess why I finally popped for a bigger grinder? Had access to a couple of them at school. They vibrate about as bad as this one did, until the wheels are dressed. And I'm finally getting my shop set up to use, seeing as I NEED to use it.

I'm putting the old wheelchair lift in the van I bought to replace my "new" 2022 Hyundai Accent that got destroyed in late November. Lost enough money on the car that it didn't seem a good idea to buy another new car, since I wasn't going to have much in the way of a down payment, and I was kinda itching to start doing at least some of my own maintenance again. Needed a compact metal bender to make the new mounting brackets for the lift. Saw the Grinder/Polisher sitting on a clearance shelf, and grabbed it, too! Gotta go drill a pair of holes in the last bracket, and get everything ready for installation tomorrow. There's a 3pm physical therapy session she needs to go to, and she's been having a lot of problems even walking to the bathroom. Loading and unloading the manual wheelchair has been hurting my back, and pushing it up the hill to the PT's office is risking both our lives!

I have other things I need to spend my limited funds on so expanding the capabilities of a piece of equipment is not a bad idea to me. A good quality wheel, Norton, or other good brand may well cost nearly what I paid for the grinder. It's still going to be cheaper than buying the newer version of the grinder I got: https://www.harborfreight.com/power-...fer-94327.html Pretty sure this is it. Missing the polycarbonate grinding shield, and the outboard washer and nut on mine. Cost me about $2 for a nut & a couple of washers that I plan to solder or braze together and then turn to clean up the assembly. Pretty sure I've got some chunks of 1/4" Polycarbonate to make a new shield from, too. The new version of that grinder is in stock at my HF for $129.99, IIRC, and I've got more time than money, and 50+ years experience getting things that aren't quite right to do the work I need to do. Seems appropriate to me, as my old man said I wasn't quite right a lot of times!

Bill

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jan 16, 2023), Improvised DIY (Jan 16, 2023), Scotty1 (Jan 16, 2023)

Thanks

Improvised DIY's Tools
    When you are polishing knives, you don't need to lean on the grinder. This Alu-ox wheel is a 60 grit for finishing and sharpening. I do have a bigger grinder with coarser wheel on them.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Improvised DIY View Post
    When you are polishing knives, you don't need to lean on the grinder. This Alu-ox wheel is a 60 grit for finishing and sharpening. I do have a bigger grinder with coarser wheel on them.
    Don't mind the naysayers, between me and my father we went about 60+ Years on a 'grinder" that was nothing more than a threaded shaft extension set screwed to a old motor shaft. By the way that motors start capacitor went before I was born, you needed to give it a spin before use. I kinda learned the hard way that grinders are not a way to a versatile and productive shop, one needs a lot of other tools to do good work. Most people will know when it is time to invest in a better grinder as they will have work that can't proceed without.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wizard69 For This Useful Post:

Improvised DIY (Jan 18, 2023)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Thanks Improvised DIY! We've added your Bench Grinder Modification to our Grinding category,
    as well as to your builder page: Improvised DIY's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Reading comprehension is not some people’s strong suit. The purpose for the upgrade was not grinding power . . . it was availability! He could not get 125 mm wheels and was sizing up to readily available 150 mm wheels.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Saltfever For This Useful Post:

Improvised DIY (Jan 26, 2023)

Thanks

Improvised DIY's Tools
    I work on a tight budget as well, that's why I improvise (use what you have). Both wheels on my 6" grinder are vibrating. I think there is too much tolerance on the stones' bushings and the clamping washers is probably out of square as it's stamped. There is nothing more satisfying than doing your own maintenance and build projects. Keep it up! My father has also turned 68 and I encourage him to keep busy. I had a neighbor who was still doing carpentry at an age of 95 and he was still fit. There comes a lot of wisdom and knowledge with age, and I enjoy it when it's passed down.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information