Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Level for 3D Printer

Supporting Member
    Thanks

dgbreggin's Tools

Level for 3D Printer

My grandson recently acquired a 3D printer. He needed a way to roughly level the bed, so he purchased an inexpensive bull's eye level.

The bed gets hot enough to damage the inexpensive plastic level. He asked me to help make a holder for it such that it could be used while the bed is hot. Waiting for the bed to cool, then leveling, then waiting for the bed to warm up again would (understandably) try his patience. My first thought was to use a piece of aluminum round bar and make a recess on the top to hold the level. After further consideration, I figured it would not be good to have a large area of contact with the bed since it would likely make a cold spot. So, I thought I would make a recess on the bottom as well. Then, I figured that 3 small-ish legs would be even less of a heat sink.

Here are pictures of the level on the holder, and the top and bottom ends of the holder.

Level for 3D Printer-level.jpg Level for 3D Printer-top.jpg Level for 3D Printer-bottom.jpg

I used the mini lathe to make the recesses in the top and bottom. I also knurled the outside on the lathe. I drilled a hole in the center to fixture the piece on my rotary table and used the mini mill to cut the legs. (The brass in the center plugs the fixturing hole.)

Here are some pictures of the level and holder in use.

Level for 3D Printer-use-.jpg Level for 3D Printer-use-b.jpg Level for 3D Printer-use-c.jpg

All in all, a fun family afternoon in the shop.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dgbreggin For This Useful Post:

bigjulie (Mar 22, 2023), ductape (Mar 21, 2023), emu roo (Mar 22, 2023), Inner (Mar 24, 2023), Jon (Mar 21, 2023), Scotty1 (Mar 21, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

ductape's Tools
    A bulls-eye level works just about as good as anything to set the bed on a 3D printer. Most of them are made of plastic and this is a nice way to keep it from melting.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ductape For This Useful Post:

dgbreggin (Mar 21, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks dgbreggin! We've added your 3D Printer Level to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: dgbreggin's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information