Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Table saw emergency brake stop activating - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,706 Times in 9,871 Posts

Table saw emergency brake stop activating - GIF

Table saw emergency brake stop activating.

Previously:

SawStop GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

HobieDave (Jun 12, 2023), nova_robotics (Jun 5, 2023), Scotsman Hosie (Jun 11, 2023), Scotty1 (Jun 4, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 617 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    SawStop. I don't own one myself, but I have huge respect for this product. I know two different people who can count fractions using their fingers because of table saws.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    SawStop. I don't own one myself, but I have huge respect for this product. I know two different people who can count fractions using their fingers because of table saws.
    Very few things with exposed rotating parts are forgiving especially those with teeth, or abrasives.
    Once I had several contract welders working for me on a project. Ordinarily they only ever use their own tools Just like I did when I was working off my rig, But I had a large 24 inch 7-1/2Hp disk sander in my shop that was just way too handy for quick edge clean up. This 1 welder was cleaning up the torch cut beveled edges on some pad eyes for a derrick we were building when I heard a crash and a louder yell he apparently had been grinding an edge in one spot not moving from side to side and managed to gouge all the way through the abrasive and the cloth backing when he did it ripped a wide section loose and pealed it away from the backing plate the part went flying the strip of sanding disk slapped the back of his hand several times before he could pull away. Think severe enough road rash to rip your gloves open after dropping your motorcycle. He wasn't really hurt that badly other than his glove being ripped to shreds. He looked up at the sign, DANGER ONLY trained and qualified personnel are allowed to use the equipment in this shop.
    Well I guess I just proved your sign to be correct. I just said a lot of my machines have a much harder bite than that one ask next time before using one of them.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Jun 11, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 617 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Guy sounds like a bit of an orangutan. That's one of my pet peeves. People who think operating tools consists of smashing on things. Oh you tripped the breaker twice and burnt up your third end mill today? I consider that to be a sign of low IQ. They can't comprehend the outcomes of their actions. I had one guy who used to do it intentionally when he wanted to go home.

I have similar stickers on all my tools. I prefer these ones:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/8174...ed-by-****wits

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

DSTP (Jun 7, 2023)

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    “Guards removed for clarity”?

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    This is in no way an accident. This is a person operating a machine with no training as to what can happen, and why it can happen.

First, rotating in the direction of the saw blade turning is the mistake number one. Not know what the **** you are doing is number two. I bet this person blamed the saw. Not their own lack of understanding simple mechanics. It's not the tool that is the problem. It is the total absence of training.

Happy that person has their fingers. Still doesn't fix stupid.

Mark

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Jun 12, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

ductape's Tools
    Thanks to the technology, this guy still has ten reasons to think about why being complacent around power tools is a bad idea.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ductape For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Jun 11, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    I bet this person blamed the saw. Not their own lack of understanding simple mechanics.
    I was a member of a makerspace that had the nicest tablesaw I've ever used, a big three phase job that ran through oak like a hot knife through butter. It had been refitted with a sawstop, and two people fired it in the year or so I was there. When it goes off it sounds like a gunshot, and the whole shop gets deathly quiet. One person had a nick on their finger like a papercut; they were extremely humble and grateful that it prevented a major medical emergency. The other time it fired was a false positive. The user was cutting foil-backed board and the conductive foil tricked the sensor. They were uninjured, embarrassed, and we added another item to the mandatory training to get the code to unlock the saw.

We could not have had a saw like that without a sawstop, and I wish I had one here at home.

On a related note, I feel like an upright panel saw like the ones they use at Home Depot is probably safer than a table saw and does most of the same jobs. Is that wrong?

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Greene View Post
    I was a member of a makerspace that had the nicest tablesaw I've ever used, a big three phase job that ran through oak like a hot knife through butter. It had been refitted with a sawstop, and two people fired it in the year or so I was there. When it goes off it sounds like a gunshot, and the whole shop gets deathly quiet. One person had a nick on their finger like a papercut; they were extremely humble and grateful that it prevented a major medical emergency. The other time it fired was a false positive. The user was cutting foil-backed board and the conductive foil tricked the sensor. They were uninjured, embarrassed, and we added another item to the mandatory training to get the code to unlock the saw.

We could not have had a saw like that without a sawstop, and I wish I had one here at home.

On a related note, I feel like an upright panel saw like the ones they use at Home Depot is probably safer than a table saw and does most of the same jobs. Is that wrong?
    I have worked on a few panel saws. They are not as versatile as a table saw. And if you are untrained they are also dangerous. But you have to be a total idiot to cut your fingers off with a panel saw.

I hope there are self inflicted damage waivers signed by the table saw jockeys.

Mark

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information