Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Simplifying the measurement of bores

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Simplifying the measurement of bores

Accurately measuring bores is one of the more difficult tasks to master. Tools like split-ball and telescoping gages demand the development of a fine "touch" to get repeatable pressure on the instrument. George Britnell, a master machinist and model builder, designed a tool to essentially remove the "touch" requirement from the operation. This post describes my version of his tool.

The tool consists of a bar with a 0.0001" DTI secured to one end. On this bar is a a moving arm whose position can be minutely adjusted with a screw. In use, the indicator on the end of the bar is applied to one side of the bore and the screw is used to extend the DTI until it reads a near mid-range value. Said reading is noted and the gage removed from the bore. A micrometer is placed across the point and DTI and adjusted until the DTI reading matches the noted reading. At this point the micrometer is applying the same pressure as the gage experienced in the bore and hence the reading it shows is the diameter of the bore.

The gage I made looks like this...

and a side view of the gage.

This tool cried out to me for a vernier fine adjustment and, feeling the need to personalize the project, I added one. It acts similar to the sort used on beam compasses but, instead of a simple threaded shaft uses a differential screw.

As is apparent in the next picture, the differential screw is threaded with two different threads. The body that threads into the vernier guide is 1/4-40 and the end which threads into the movable arm is threaded 10-32.

With this arrangement, one turn of the vernier adjustment knob will move the movable arm by:

1/32 - 1/40 = 1/160 = 0.00625"

the equivalent of a 160 tpi thread. With six notches on the knob, a one notch movement is very close to one thousandth of an inch movement.

The next photo shows the dovetail that secures the DTI in the end of the rod. To make it, I slotted with a 3/16" endmill to the correct depth and then cut the dovetail with a 1/4" dovetail cutter that I purchased from Brownells, the gunsmith suppliers in Iowa. Such tiny cutters are used to cut the dovetails used to secure the (adjustable) front sight on some types of firearms.

Aside: As made, the adjusting screw is backwards. A clockwise turn of the screw will move the movable arm toward rather than away from the vernier guide. Were the 32 and 40 tpi sections reversed, this would be rectified but I was using dies and wanted a one piece screw so accepted the reversed movement which doesn't annoy me anyway. However, be warned if you make your own differential screws - think it through first.

If you want help with the mathematics of designing differential screws, there's a program on my page titled, surprisingly, DIFFTHRD that will be of assistance.]

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mklotz; Jul 2, 2017 at 11:30 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

albertq (Dec 8, 2023), baja (Nov 25, 2020), Catfish (Sep 4, 2015), DIYSwede (Jun 21, 2019), emu roo (Nov 24, 2020), extropic (Nov 1, 2017), Home-PC (Nov 26, 2020), JoeH (Nov 26, 2018), Jon (Sep 3, 2015), kbalch (Sep 2, 2015), Metallurg33 (Nov 23, 2018), mwmkravchenko (Nov 24, 2020), NickP (Nov 1, 2017), Paul Jones (Sep 4, 2015), philipUsesWood&Brass (Nov 28, 2018), PJs (Sep 4, 2015), Toolmaker51 (Dec 22, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanks mklotz! I've added your Bore Measurement Gauge to our Measuring and Marking category, as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Wow, that a great measuring tool. Though I don't have a need for such accuracy, it's good to know what's out there.

Thanks
    Great idea Mark! brilliant way of using differential threads

Thanks

Catfish's Tools
    Love the Tool, now on my to make list for sure. Thanks for sharing. Randy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Marv,

Thanks for the description and advice on how you designed and build this tool. The use of differential screws has provided me with ideas for other measuring tool projects.

Thank you, Paul
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Nov 28, 2018 at 06:57 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
    Marv,

Thanks for the description and advice on how you designed and built this tool. The use of differential screws has provided me with ideas for other measuring tool projects.

Thank you, Paul
    When you do your design don't forget metric threads. It will drive anyone who inherits your tools over the brink but, sometimes mixing metric and Inferial threads can yield effective pitches unobtainable with a single system.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Nov 28, 2018), philipUsesWood&Brass (Nov 28, 2018), PJs (Sep 4, 2015)

Thanks
    Hi Marv,

Very impressive device, indeed! Your Bore Measurement Gauge is the 'Tool of the Week'!

You'll be receiving one of our official HomemadeTools.net T-shirts:

Simplifying the measurement of bores-black-shirt-front-actual-design.jpg Simplifying the measurement of bores-black-shirt-rear-actual-design.jpg
    Simplifying the measurement of bores-white-shirt-front-actual-design.jpg Simplifying the measurement of bores-white-shirt-rear-actual-design.jpg

Just let me have (via PM) your details (size, color choice, and mailing address) and we'll get things processed directly.

Congrats!

Ken

Thanks
    This thread has been moved to the Must Read subforum. Congrats (and thanks) to Marv for making such a valuable contribution!

Thanks
    Marv, wonderful idea, I will Upgrade my Dial Test Indicator and use my old one for this!

philip

Thread Information