Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Singer Sewing machine motor Drill

Thanks

Mad Halfling Inventor's Tools

Singer Sewing machine motor Drill

Important point: I didn't make this, It was kindly given to me by a friend who's dad made it, it was found in the house clearance, I was the only one who had the right power-supply to use it, I have permission to post:

it needed a bit of work after years in a garage but I got it going and have been using it for a few months now. The singer motor (designed for a sewing machine) is high torque and variable speed and the chuck will take tiny drills (right down to 0.4 mm), this makes it amazing for both drilling stitching holes in leather-work (what I'm doing in the video, needing a slow speed to avoid overheating) and drilling electrical circuit board component holes (very hard so needs a high speed)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Mad Halfling Inventor! We've added your Small Drill Press to our Drilling and Drill Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: Mad Halfling Inventor's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Halfling Inventor View Post
    Important point: I didn't make this, It was kindly given to me by a friend who's dad made it, it was found in the house clearance, I was the only one who had the right power-supply to use it, I have permission to post:
    Wow, you are so fortunate that that did not end up in the trash! This is one of those custom made tools that you can't buy for a reasonable price.

Thanks

Mad Halfling Inventor's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    Wow, you are so fortunate that that did not end up in the trash! This is one of those custom made tools that you can't buy for a reasonable price.
    Totally agree, it was just luck that I was at the house when he found this, without a matching singer power supply it would have been useless, I don't think he would have thrown it away but it would probably have become an ornament on a shelf somewhere

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Interesting. Sewing machine motors list many RPM ratings, 1725 to 7000...? I drilled many hundreds of .013 blow mold nozzle holes with only 9000 through a drill bushing. Got them done but very tedious to start and get feel; low carbon + .013 needs over 27,000 RPM [95 fpm]. With high speed bearings widely spaced and light spindle, even 1725 would take a round belt compound sheave up, around 15.65:1

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information