Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Single shank Mesquite root plow

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Single shank Mesquite root plow

You can spray mesquite with chemicals dozens of times and still not kill them all. but at the same time what you are doing is introducing chemicals into your soil that takes years for it to recover properly. Large mesquite trees are easier to get rid of than the off shoots from the roots which can be as much as 40 feet from a parent tree. I decided to make a root plow to assist in ridding mine and a friend's field of some of the many smaller mesquites for one he made the mistake of spraying his field with remedy mixed with diesel as per directions but then he didn't go back and spray a 2nd or 3rd time. He also mowed them down after killing them but didn't mow regularly enough to keep them from restarting. Just like some weeds if you mow frequently enough eventually you can kill it off.
    Another way is to plow the roots out of the ground. A good way to do this is with a multi shank heavy duty chisel plow. But you need to Criss cross the field several times to break up or cut up the runner roots and to bring them to the surface if you can tear them up enough and often enough they will not re generate. But the whole field is tilled this away if you have native grasses already and you don't want to have to re seed several acres. You use something like this for spotty infestations.
    Made entirely out of scrap that was already loaded to be hauled off but hasn't been because the trailer is not full.

Single shank Mesquite root plow-img_20230227_170435rp.jpg
    Single shank Mesquite root plow-img_20230227_190128rp.jpg
    Here are some examples of what came out of the ground the thin stalks were the only thing above ground all of the black part was what was dug up
    Single shank Mesquite root plow-img_20230302_201359rp.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Jon (Mar 10, 2023)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Great build, still looks like lots of work to search and destroy. Does that single plow blade need much tractor horsepower to pull them out of the ground?
    The good thing it makes great smoking wood. But what trouble having a patch of that must be.
    When I bought my home in 1984, the previous owner put in a small shrub of some unknown to me plant. I let it grow, turns out it was some sort of Bamboo plant that sent runners everywhere. I couldn't find a weed killer. But I kept mowing it till it disappeared.
    The other plant is Horseradish, I've heard horror stories of using a roto-tiller, which was the wrong way of removing it.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    Great build, still looks like lots of work to search and destroy. Does that single plow blade need much tractor horsepower to pull them out of the ground?
    The good thing it makes great smoking wood. But what trouble having a patch of that must be.
    When I bought my home in 1984, the previous owner put in a small shrub of some unknown to me plant. I let it grow, turns out it was some sort of Bamboo plant that sent runners everywhere. I couldn't find a weed killer. But I kept mowing it till it disappeared.
    The other plant is Horseradish, I've heard horror stories of using a roto-tiller, which was the wrong way of removing it.
    H have sandy soil so not much drawbar HP is required My Ford 2600 and Case 431 do just fine. If you have a tractor that can pull a 2 bottom 16inch moldboard turning plow in your soil then it will have enough umph to pull this.
    A roto tiller on horseradish will create a carpet of the stuff, cut a 1-foot root into a dozen pieces but leave them in the ground and 2 dozen plants will crop up starting from both ends of the root,
    It is a great herb once you learn to control its growth. Just dig it up save the largest roots scrub them clean then grate them let set a few minutes add some white vinegar a little pickling salt and pound a Vitamin C tablet into powder to make your own horseradish sauce. The longer you wait to add the vinegar and other... the hotter it will become but if you wait too long like about 6 to 10 minutes it will have a hot + bitter taste. I like to sparingly spread a little and squeeze the juice from a half a lemon on a schnitzel to add flavor.
    Why pat $7.00 for a 2 oz jar when you can make a pint of the stuff from 3 cups of roots for free + the cost of a cup of vinegar, a little salt and a vitamin.
    I just bought this last night
    Single shank Mesquite root plow-img_20230303_083246kmsu.jpg
    Last edited by Frank S; Mar 3, 2023 at 08:03 PM.

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    H have sandy soil so not much drawbar HP is required My Ford 2600 and Case 431 do just fine. If you have a tractor that can pull a 2 bottom 16inch moldboard turning plow in your soil then it will have enough umph to pull this.
    A roto tiller on horseradish will create a carpet of the stuff, cut a 1-foot root into a dozen pieces but leave them in the ground and 2 dozen plants will crop up starting from both ends of the root,
    It is a great herb once you learn to control its growth. Just dig it up save the largest roots scrub them clean then grate them let set a few minutes add some white vinegar a little pickling salt and pound a Vitamin C tablet into powder to make your own horseradish sauce. The longer you wait to add the vinegar and other... the hotter it will become but if you wait too long like about 6 to 10 minutes it will have a hot + bitter taste. I like to sparingly spread a little and squeeze the juice from a half a lemon on a schnitzel to add flavor.
    Why pat $7.00 for a 2 oz jar when you can make a pint of the stuff from 3 cups of roots for free + the cost of a cup of vinegar, a little salt and a vitamin.
    I just bought this last night
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230303_083246kmsu.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	273.9 KB 
ID:	45095
    I have a few plants out in the back yard. I too have sandy soil. These are mostly in the shade of oak trees. I got the cuttings from my parents 30 years ago. I mow around them, never dug any up.
    So is the vitamin C, ascorbic acid, a preservative to keep it from turning brown? I was told it should be harvested in months with "R" in them, late fall through spring. I assume that growing season must have some off taste. I'm guessing here. Ground is frozen here currently.

I'll have to try that. I do buy the jars, I make a BBQ sauce with it, and spread it on pork chops and bake in the oven. The store purchased stuff is very wimpy. But I've had very hot stuff and do not like the nasal cavity burn. I bet if baked on pork chops it will drive those volatiles off.

Nice loader, 4-5 yard bucket? Years ago I passed on a loader this size, that had a huge backhoe on the other end. Had some hydraulic valve issue, that was welded/buried into the machine structure. The guy didn't have any manuals for it. I could see where a previous repair was done with cutting a hole in the backhoe arm, and then welding it back in place. Some sort of remote actuator so high volume flow didn't go through the operator spool valves. I'm ignorant to hydraulic systems of this sort. And I didn't have a building to keep it in, and way beyond my needs. I ended up with a very small skid steer. Gehl 2500.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Hi Frank
    What did you use for the main down member below the three point hitch cross tree? There must be a pretty fair load on it.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Root Plow to our Farm and Garden category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member Improvised DIY's Avatar
    Thanks

Improvised DIY's Tools
    Innovative as always!

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by old kodger View Post
    Hi Frank
    What did you use for the main down member below the three point hitch cross tree? There must be a pretty fair load on it.
    it is 1by 6 inch bar stock cut out of AR350 plate beveled in front to an edge the foot is made out of the same material. with 3 teeth cut into it and sharpened

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information