Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Sledge for moving things with my lawn mower - hauls HUNDREDS of pounds!

Thanks

CharlesWaugh's Tools

Sledge for moving things with my lawn mower - hauls HUNDREDS of pounds!

I made this sledge probably 6 years ago out of pressure-treated 2x6's and a hunk of 1/2" UHMW (black) that I got from some guy who had it in his shop but had left it leaning so it bent and was no good for his uses.

The tail gate is simply pinned on top and slide-catched at the bottom.

The great thing about this is that it will haul HUNDREDS of pounds, even with just my ZTR pulling it.

It has ZERO lift-over height, which has come in handy for moving big rocks and stumps - just roll 'em in!

It also does NOT tear up the ground or grass at all, nor does it leave tire tracks.

It IS a bit heavy to dump, but if you built it out of aluminum tubing and a 3/8" or 5/16" UHMW (3/8" will still put up with rocks and not bend too much, which could make tracks when dragged).

Also, it can be moved around easily even when full of stuff by pushing it with your foot, or pulling on the rope. It also can be slid sideways easily to snug it up to a wall or some such.

I want to add some drop-on sides of cheap plywood to make it taller for hauling even MORE leaves in the fall - here in Oregon we have Big Leaf Maples which dump tons of leaves so fall clean-up is a chore.

It's also great for moving stuff like the BarBQ - just roll it in and drive slow.

I added a hook on the end of my ZTR to snag the rope on.

I bent the UHMW by making one saw kerf and then heated it up a bit with a heat gun and screwed it like mad to the 2x6's.

Cheers!Sledge for moving things with my lawn mower - hauls HUNDREDS of pounds!-2019-06-01-12.44.37.jpgSledge for moving things with my lawn mower - hauls HUNDREDS of pounds!-2019-06-01-12.44.43.jpgSledge for moving things with my lawn mower - hauls HUNDREDS of pounds!-2019-06-01-12.44.47.jpgSledge for moving things with my lawn mower - hauls HUNDREDS of pounds!-2019-06-01-12.44.53.jpgSledge for moving things with my lawn mower - hauls HUNDREDS of pounds!-2019-06-01-12.45.05.jpgSledge for moving things with my lawn mower - hauls HUNDREDS of pounds!-2019-06-01-12.45.31.jpgSledge for moving things with my lawn mower - hauls HUNDREDS of pounds!-2019-06-01-12.45.23.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Charles Waugh
    www.charleswaugh.com
    "Any tool is just a kit, to be modified as needed for the job at hand"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesWaugh For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jun 1, 2019)

Thanks

CharlesWaugh's Tools
    I just realized that if I put some EMT (metal conduit) along the top of the sides for a ways, I could slide in some smaller pipe that was bent into a big 'U', and make a wide handle to dump it with - just unhook the rope, slide out the handle and lift! Of course, the henadle would have to be made so it wouldn't slide all the way out when you had it lifted, or you'd drop the back edge of the sledge right down your shins (yipes!)

2000 Tool Plans
    Charles Waugh
    www.charleswaugh.com
    "Any tool is just a kit, to be modified as needed for the job at hand"

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks CharlesWaugh! We've added your Sled to our Trailers and Towing category,
    as well as to your builder page: CharlesWaugh's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information