Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Small Hossfeld style bender

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Small Hossfeld style bender

Needing to form some 1/8" by 1/2" flat bar to make some letters I decided it was time to toss together a Hossfeld style bender
    the bender is nothing more than 4 pieces of 1/4 x 2" flat bar with a few holes drilled in them and some round disks of varying diameters and thicknesses plus some 3/4' bolts for the pins with a length of 3/4" pipe welded in as a handle.
    Small Hossfeld style bender-20190204_122425.jpgx.jpg
    just change the size of the disks to get a different diameter
    Small Hossfeld style bender-20190204_132634.jpgx.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Feb 6, 2019), baja (Feb 6, 2019), bruce.desertrat (Feb 5, 2019), Captainleeward (Feb 9, 2019), hansgoudzwaard (Feb 5, 2019), high-side (Feb 5, 2019), Janvosburg (Feb 6, 2019), Jon (Feb 7, 2019), mwmkravchenko (Feb 26, 2021), Paul Jones (Feb 9, 2019), PDXsparky (Feb 6, 2019), PJs (Feb 7, 2019), Priemsy (Feb 27, 2021), that_other_guy (Feb 6, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Nice work on a scaled down Hossfeld. Frankly it looks like the right size for much of the work I intend to do.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

H0$$'s Tools

print or schematics

Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Needing to form some 1/8" by 1/2" flat bar to make some letters I decided it was time to toss together a Hossfeld style bender
    the bender is nothing more than 4 pieces of 1/4 x 2" flat bar with a few holes drilled in them and some round disks of varying diameters and thicknesses plus some 3/4' bolts for the pins with a length of 3/4" pipe welded in as a handle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190204_122425.jpgx.jpg 
Views:	1066 
Size:	265.0 KB 
ID:	27916
    just change the size of the disks to get a different diameter
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190204_132634.jpgx.jpg 
Views:	860 
Size:	334.0 KB 
ID:	27917
    could you post a drawing, or schematics, or print of sizes used for this build

5. The Following User Says Thank You to H0$$ For This Useful Post:

Priemsy (Feb 27, 2021)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    HO$$, I didn't bother with any drawings or plans. Basically the bender was simply cobbled together designed around my need to make some 3" x 5" letters and some 4.5" x 8" letters using 1/8 by 1/2" flat bar. so to get a 3"x 5" number "0" I needed to make the inside radius 1 inch A 3/4" flat washer just happened to be 2" in diameter and I had some 3" diameter disks that were 3/8" thick Stack 2 of those with the washer in between for the die to form those letters.
    For the larger letters I searched through my pile of disks and found one that was 3.5" in diameter and 1/8" thick, then to make the rest of the die I located a pair of 4.5" by 1/4" thick but I still needed another 1/4" to have the same 7/8" stack up as with the smaller die set. so I located a pair of disks that were 1/8" thick just slightly smaller in OD than the 4.5" for the rolling die I found a pair of 1.5" x 3/8" disks and another one 1/8" thick I chucked these disks up in the lathe 1 by 1 and drilled a 3/4" hole through the center. For the pulling block that is simply a head bolt nut from a caterpillar engine I heated it to anneal it soft enough to drill then chucked in in the lathe and drilled out the threads. Trust me from past experiences with these nuts they have to be annealed or you're going to have to re sharpen the drill several times just to drill out the threads they are that hard. Then I turned it down to only 7/8' tall
    for the bender bars themselves I stacked all 4 of them and drilled the first hole near one end then centered one of the 3" disks on the hole and centered the 1.5" disk on the bars touching the 3" disk. to drill the 2nd hole then replaced the 3" with a 4.5" and repeated for the next hole just encase I need to make a larger diameter bend later on I stepped over a distance and drilled another hole. For right now the only actual fabrication that was done was to flatten a 18" long 3/4" sch 80 pipe on one end to 7/8" so I could weld it between the swing bars as a handle the frame bars are just clamped to the table with a piece of 1 3/8" thick piece of steel Later I will weld up the frame properly and add a bolting base so I can bolt it to my work table.
    This is what I made the bender for
    Small Hossfeld style bender-20190205_171459.jpgbbb.jpg
    My sister's Grand son is the qtr back on his school's 6 man football team He has 2 state rings now and 1 more year before he graduates I told her that I am making the 2019 numbers and keeping them in my shop until next year so he had better take the team to the championship and win next year.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Feb 6, 2019), PJs (Feb 7, 2019), that_other_guy (Feb 6, 2019)

Thanks

H0$$'s Tools
    Thanks for the reply and info

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    My sister's Grand son is the qtr back on his school's 6 man football team He has 2 state rings now and 1 more year before he graduates I told her that I am making the 2019 numbers and keeping them in my shop until next year so he had better take the team to the championship and win next year.
    Nice cobbling there Frank for a great cause too. Hope he gets a third ring.

PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Feb 7, 2019)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Nice cobbling there Frank for a great cause too. Hope he gets a third ring.

PJ
    Thanks Pj my sis said she wanted it for his up coming birthday there is 20 feet of 1/2" sq twisted bar to make the boarder of Texas and almost 50 feet of 1/8 by 1/2 inch flat bar to make the letters and the lines to support them I really hope he likes it enough to keep it a long time, and to give him the incentive to strive to do his very best in life.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Feb 26, 2021), PJs (Feb 7, 2019)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    I saw the twisted bar and wondered how you got it to match the state line. Fabulous BD gift and sure he will treasure it.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    I saw the twisted bar and wondered how you got it to match the state line. Fabulous BD gift and sure he will treasure it.
    To get the twisted bar to emulate the state line shapes I heated and bent it in many places
    It doesn't exactly match the state line but then again 90% of the topo. maps don't perfectly match the state line either. For instance I dropped the red river route a little too far south over where Texas meets Arkansas by about 50 miles and IO left out the inlet at the port of Galveston and the one at Houston but its close enough to give the impression of the shape of Texas
    Last edited by Frank S; Feb 7, 2019 at 01:58 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Feb 7, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Hossfeld Style Bender to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thread Information