Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Small piece Lathe magnetic part "chuck"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools

Small piece Lathe magnetic part "chuck"

Not really a chuck but it is designed to hold small flat washers when resizing them. I used aluminum for the outer shell and a large neo magnet for the power. To transfer the magnetic field to the flat washer to be turned I made up a brass and steel magnetic block. The center steel in the brass is just 1/4" rod from the hardware store, not drill rod. The other 8 pins are made from 16d common nails. They were just a bit small for a tight fit in the holes (closest size drill bit I had) so I knurled them to increase the diameter to a tight slip fit. After fit up I faced them in the lathe and then lapped the faces a bit with 400 wet or dry. Added some 271 locktite and that was it.

One note about the magnets. The plating is very thin and delicate. That is why the brass/steel transfer block was made. There is more holding power in the magnet directly but you run the risk of chipping the coating.
    This "chuck" may be used from either side but if I want to protect the magnet then the brass side is the one to use.

These won't take a lot of stress but will work for a quick washer sizing. The nice thing is that they will fit in any of my chucks so I won't have to change the chuck just to size a washer.

Cheers, JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Small piece Lathe magnetic part "chuck"-dscf0001.jpg   Small piece Lathe magnetic part "chuck"-dscf0002.jpg   Small piece Lathe magnetic part "chuck"-dscf0003.jpg   Small piece Lathe magnetic part "chuck"-dscf0004.jpg   Small piece Lathe magnetic part "chuck"-dscf0005.jpg  

Small piece Lathe magnetic part "chuck"-dscf0006.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

Jon (Oct 27, 2016), Paul Jones (Oct 26, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks jjr2001! We've added your Washer Resizing Chuck to our Workholding category,
    as well as to your builder page: jjr2001's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information