Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Snap Ring Plier Tips

Thanks

pfredX1's Tools

Snap Ring Plier Tips

While I was servicing one of my routers it came to my attention that I could not find one of my snap ring tip kits. While I was sitting on the throne it dawned on me that I have a lot of hex wrenches. I know right where they are too. So out came the cut off wheel, and into my mill chuck pieces of hex wrench went. The rest of the making is pretty straight forward. When the tip fits it's done. I finished them up with some tool room stones while the tips were spinning in the chuck. They worked great too.Snap Ring Plier Tips-snapringtips.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to pfredX1 For This Useful Post:

baja (Jun 10, 2020), bgerens (Oct 24, 2017), desbromilow (Jun 9, 2020), FEM2008 (Jun 9, 2020), Harvey Melvin Richards (Oct 24, 2017), high-side (Jun 11, 2020), HobieDave (Apr 12, 2020), JoeH (Jun 10, 2020), lzenglish (Dec 5, 2018), mklotz (Oct 25, 2017), olderdan (Oct 28, 2017), Paul Jones (Oct 25, 2017), Priemsy (Apr 1, 2018), rlm98253 (Jul 26, 2018), Seedtick (Oct 24, 2017), Sleykin (Jun 10, 2020), sossol (Oct 24, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Oct 27, 2017), Tule (Apr 1, 2018), volodar (Apr 2, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks pfredX1! We've added your Snap Ring Plier Tips to our Fastening category,
    as well as to your builder page: pfredX1's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    With the reverse taper, they'll hold on like originals too. Can't recall how many times I've used those of others, finding some 'modified' by haphazard means, that won't work any more. I'll bet even the least expensive hex wrenches are close or equal in hardness/ toughness to average replaceable tips.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

pfredX1's Tools
    This is one of those things that worked far better than I expected it to. So good I figured I'd share it. So good I can well see myself doing it again someday. I did have to run my mill in reverse to get the grab action between the spinning cutting disc, and the chucked up work. But I guess someone could just flip the grinder upside down if they don't have a reversing spindle on a drill press. Whenever you live grind spinning work you always want opposing spins. Otherwise the abrasive skips on the work. They bounce apart. Opposite they pull together and run smoother.

Like you noticed I even recreated the taper commercial tips have. But with this method that is the natural way for things to go. Just start on the top and linger a bit then work down. It's pretty much what anyone wants to do anyways. I found it very comfortable. Then for the final finish I touched it up a bit with a carborundum stone I have. A piece of sandpaper on a stick would probably work too?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pfredX1 For This Useful Post:

ncollar (Apr 1, 2018), Paul Jones (Oct 28, 2017), Priemsy (Apr 1, 2018)

Thanks
    Fred
    You hit a winner if no one else thinks so. I do not know how many times I need a special tip and it was not in my box, now it will be.
    Thank you so very much for an excellent idea.
    Nelson

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ncollar For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 2, 2018), PJs (Apr 4, 2018)

Thanks

pfredX1's Tools
    All in all this whole hack worked out far better than I initially expected it to. It turned out to be one of those right in front of my nose deals. So obvious it is easily overlooked. If you take your time and do test fits you can get a really good fit on a particular ring. Which often makes all the difference when popping or reseating it. Who hasn't broken a hardened pip off snap ring tips too? I guess those can be reground? A new tip is in there. It is just up to us to bring it out.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pfredX1 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 2, 2018), PJs (Apr 4, 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pfredX1 View Post
    ... It turned out to be one of those right in front of my nose deals.
    My nose tends to obscure things!.

Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks

pfredX1's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by FEM2008 View Post
    My nose tends to obscure things!.

Great idea. Thanks for sharing.
    Glad you liked it. Those replaceable tips do look like hex keys. Turns out they pretty much are. It is also pretty easy to grind that reverse cone into them too. Easier than I initially imagined it would be. You never know with some things until you give it a try. I bet someone could even do it with a hand held drill clamped to a bench if they had to. Now that I'm thinking about it that may be the best way to go? 3 jaw chucks hold 6 sided stock good. The math just works out.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information