Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Soldering/gluing fixture

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Soldering/gluing fixture

I built this device some time ago to help me butt-solder two pieces together.

The two little vises are as identical as I could make them. The bodies and jaws were machined as single pieces and then cut apart to make the two units. The vises slide along a 3/8" square rod and can be locked in any position. The cylindrical post fits my Panavise base. It's removable so the square rod can be clamped in the workbench vise.

As shown, this little jig has been a remarkably useful tool. Soldering, gluing and sawing are only a few of the things it's been used for. But it really came into its own when I added a second chunk of square rod perpendicular to the original

using a half-lap joint to ensure that the two vises remained aligned. Accurate orthogonal solder joints are a pleasure now.

I made the vises from aluminum which, in retrospect, was not the best choice for soldering since it wicks the heat away from the joint. Steel would have been a better choice but my concern was to not mar the part surfaces.

I've considered adding a third rod perpendicular to the existing two to allow for three dimensional assemblies but haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mklotz; Jul 7, 2017 at 08:34 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

HobieDave (Mar 12, 2020), kbalch (Sep 4, 2015), that_other_guy (Feb 26, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanks Marv! I've added your Soldering and Gluing Fixture to our Vises category, as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Wow, that's a pretty cool fixture. I've seen quite a few soldering fixtures but this one is something else!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information