Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Soldering Helping Hand; portable, attachable, adjustable

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools

Exclamation Soldering Helping Hand; portable, attachable, adjustable

Here is my earth-shattering, world saving, revolutionary, universal envy for uber low cost newest project!

Oh wait, that's a way too common YouTube intro...

Posting a very recent [3 minutes ago] fixture, simplifying repairs inside vehicles or other tight spots. Cost is super low, already had the material, bits totaled about $1.50. Angle aluminum 1/8" x 1/2" x 2", spring clamp with *10 fasteners, 2 alligator clips with *8 thread-cutting fasteners, a ring of magnet of ceramic/ ferrite, and a little 2 part epoxy.
    The magnet offers lots of mounting locations in auto's, that don't appear in say, boats, it's epoxied in place.
    Soldering Helping Hand; portable, attachable, adjustable-back_of_holder.jpg
    That's where the spring clamp comes into play....even grabs a cardboard box or plastic tray. The clamp is mounted with a stack of lock-washers and flat-washers to create a clutch, holding a convenient position
    Mounting the alligator clips, one is in a hole, the other is slotted. That allows mesh or western union splices in multiple wire sizes, as larger wire wants a proportionally bit longer connection. It's also a clutch, allowing quick but firm slide adjustment.
    Soldering Helping Hand; portable, attachable, adjustable-front_of_holder.jpg
    Magnet is to be mounted as shown; too late and cool out for a dependable bond, can wait till morning.

Hashed awhile over desired elements that materials on hand accommodated; heavier bits at one end, a profile flat as possible, stores in the tool kit, adaptability, plus [of course] the entertainment achieved doing something useful and lasting.
    Soldering Helping Hand; portable, attachable, adjustable-live_shot.jpg

That's All Folks!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Oct 5, 2021 at 11:55 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Oct 7, 2021), baja (Oct 7, 2021), benkeller3 (Oct 10, 2021), Beserkleyboy (Oct 11, 2021), bruce.desertrat (Oct 9, 2021), BuffaloJohn (Feb 19, 2022), cmarlow (Oct 9, 2021), Harvey Melvin Richards (Oct 7, 2021), Home-PC (Oct 7, 2021), Jon (Oct 7, 2021), luvmygto (Oct 6, 2021), rlm98253 (Oct 6, 2021), sossol (Oct 7, 2021), sparky42 (Oct 6, 2021), uv8452 (Oct 8, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Toolmaker51! We've added your Helping Hand to our Helping Hands category,
    as well as to your builder page: Toolmaker51's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member Fluffle-Valve's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'm going to copy this idea. It's always been a bugbear trying to solder two bits of wire together. One does need a third hand.
    I have a 1972 Land Rover Series III Truck Cab/Pick-Up and a 1962 Land Rover Series 2a Carawagon Camper.

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Far as copying, of course I don't mind. However; mods are in order.
    While assembly works as intended,a little disappointed by the magnet. The placement is sensible, just insufficient flux to stay in position selected, calls for adding one to opposite end. The clip is compact, however jaw profile is a little too 'pointed' [?], will try curving them out a bit.
    It remains far easier to construct a third hand, than trying to sprout one...
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Fluffle-Valve (Oct 11, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    It remains far easier to construct a third hand, than trying to sprout one...
    In my next life I'm going to come back with 4 arms and hands with 1 pair of hands having 2 thumbs 1 in the normal position and 1 where the nose picking finger is and all 4 hands with full 360 degree rotational wrist articulation I want a wifi modem in my head as well
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    In my next life I'm going to come back with 4 arms and hands with 1 pair of hands having 2 thumbs 1 in the normal position and 1 where the nose picking finger is and all 4 hands with full 360 degree rotational wrist articulation I want a wifi modem in my head as well
    Gonna be tough getting properly fit clothing, no? Then again, prevailing joke about 3 armed sweaters being knit must have a bit of truth.
    The modem is cool though, since I KNOW you don't wear a tinfoil hat.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Third hand an old idea - and many very cost effective products are available - but will still cost a little more than $2.00; but you did have some material "on hand"

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick79 View Post
    Third hand an old idea - and many very cost effective products are available - but will still cost a little more than $2.00; but you did have some material "on hand"
    How many are produced and available is unquestionable, plenty are, yet none apparent in local retail.

I did 7 years worth of miniature and sub-miniature electronic assembly, much of it under a microscope. Those tools offered nothing compatible with repairs-in-place work. Cost effective is subjective; that market leans toward assembly benches, clean rooms and ESD garb.

Many examples depend on a heavy base, or excess height for say, under dash of a car. Articulating arms require fiddly adjustments, both of which positioned above something to steady elbows or arms, along with excess width outside 'work area'.
    Mine is thin, low and narrow, compact enough for pocket or parts tray, cheap as can be, perfectly adapted to splicing, and I've seen none combining 2 means of attachment...not worthy of a patent, yet total up unique enough to qualify.

"On hand" to us, means remnants or odd bits that turn up, not scrap. Scrap applies for materials too small to hold or cut.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 406 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Brilliant
    PHP Code:
    Here is my earth-shatteringworld savingrevolutionaryuniversal envy for uber low cost newest project!

Oh wait,  that's a way too common YouTube intro... 
    Love it

You have obviously watch a lot of the earth shattering and revolutionary crap like I have. I kick myself sometimes and ask the question why didn't i trust my instinct and why didn't I read the comments first. Some of the comments are very funny and some are very cutting.

But seeing your intro, has made my day. Also nice to know I am not the only sucker out there.

By the why really handy (excuse the pun) 3rd hand.

The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information