Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Space saving hinged bench

Thanks

ranald's Tools

Space saving hinged bench

I can never seem to have enough bench space for assembly & for years planned a bench that hinger up using 60's & 70's car bonnet/hood springs. The prototype was published by Better Homes & Gardens Wood Mag last year. It is shown here also. It was excellent as it allowed a lathe & router table to be snugged against it (folded up)when not used, reducing floor footprint. It is quite and made from concreting FORM PLY which has a non stick finish & very durable construction

Space saving hinged bench-rsz_dsc_1229-1-.jpg

Unfortunately, despite it being cyclone rated & my adding 2 extra rails to the original 3 as engineered, my sheds walls were too flimsy to cop the stresses of the bench & its car bonnet springs. I really wanted a full four foot wide assembly bench so decided to hinge it down still cluttering some floor space.

Another point is that I made the bench height slightly below that of my table saw to avoid problems of its mobility.

Space saving hinged bench-rsz_dsc_0002-10-.jpg

The other point about this bench is that I used standard dog holes.My other tip to readers is to use old mitre saw clamps. Mine are from Makita & Hitachi (common here ) & can be picked up cheap at boot/ garage sales/fairs/markets. That introduced another issue & as I dont own a metal lathe I had some sleeves made to fit the clamps and slot into the dog holes. They cost a few bucks but allow me to use them on my other benches even B& D workmates.I cut a slot lengthwise to allow easy insertion & removal.

Space saving hinged bench-rsz_rsz_dsc_0066.jpg

Regards,
    Ranald

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Feb 10, 2019), PJs (Feb 8, 2019), sossol (Feb 8, 2019), Steved53 (Feb 8, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Feb 7, 2019), Tule (Feb 8, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I admire hinged benches, have one awaiting installation. Your improvements hadn't occurred to me.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Steved53's Tools
    Nice work. I have some sprung hinges from an old lift up divan bed that would work fine... now to work out where to put it in a small garage.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks ranald! We've added your Hinged Workbench to our Workbenches category,
    as well as to your builder page: ranald's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information