Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Spray paint hangers and make do spray booth

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 406 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Spray paint hangers and make do spray booth

Hi All
    While on one of my skip diving escapades a couple of years ago I found a load of what I can only describe as sprung loaded hangers. Straightaway I knew what I could use them for, a spray painting aid. So, hooked about 20 – 30 of them out of the skip. The spring mechanism is very strong and works a treat. I have never seen this type of hanger before but they are great for painting items, as an additional hand and hanging the painted item to dry. The second photo also shows my cardboard box spray booth.

Spray paint hangers and make do spray booth-img_1383.jpg Hangers

Spray paint hangers and make do spray booth-img_1382.jpg Cardboard box used as make do spray booth and the hangers in use

The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by thehomeengineer; Mar 31, 2018 at 12:31 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Mar 31, 2018), Jon (Mar 30, 2018), Paul Jones (Mar 31, 2018), WinDancerKnives (Mar 30, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Small Part Paint Booth to our Painting category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

bobs409's Tools
    Looks like something that a clothing store might use. Looks like a great idea!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bobs409 For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Mar 31, 2018)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    I was ruminating on your dumpster diving talents and the recent Bear steals dumpster GIF, when I wondered if perhaps it was feasible to build and deploy some sort of dumpster monitoring system.

Essentially: trigger a few minutes of video recording when a sensor indicated that the dumpster lid was being opened. Pushing the video to the net would be wonderful, but not necessary. You could regularly make your rounds, perhaps swapping out old memory cards for new on each dumpster, or connecting a small mobile device to pull the new video data from each unit. You could look at the video recordings and decide which dumpsters to dive, and even determine dumping patterns (for example, perhaps a local metalworking company dumps at 10AM every Wednesday, but a local burrito shop dumps at 12PM every day, so you want to dive that unit at 10:30AM on Wednesday).

There are some legalities involved, but you may be able to overcome them with creative but legal sensor/camera mounting strategies. The sensing and monitoring equipment is cheap enough these days that you could build this largely with discarded or very inexpensive equipment.

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 406 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    The problem is Jon I don't have a routine but might be worth considering to see who else is stalking my bins so I can get the boys to warn them off lol

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information