Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Square Peg, Triangular Hole: Holding a Small Tap in a Drill Chuck

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools

Square Peg, Triangular Hole: Holding a Small Tap in a Drill Chuck

When tapping small holes, it is handy to tap right after drilling the tap hole. You will quickly find that holding the tap in the drill chuck doesn’t work well and can damage the chuck.

I have a solution using a strategically placed bit of copper wire.

If you are interested, please, click here

Your comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

Thanks,

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

baja (Jun 1, 2022), Christophe Mineau (Jun 4, 2022), DIYer (May 30, 2022), emu roo (May 30, 2022), Jon (Jun 2, 2022), Little Rabbit (May 31, 2022), mklotz (May 29, 2022), mwmkravchenko (Jun 1, 2022), nova_robotics (May 30, 2022), Paul Jones (Jun 4, 2022), Philip Davies (Jun 4, 2022), rebuilder1954 (May 30, 2022), RetiredFAE (May 30, 2022), Toolmaker51 (May 31, 2022), uv8452 (May 30, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    A clever and expedient technique but turning the chuck on my mill by hand doesn't work well with my 80 year old hands.

Like you, I decided that the best time to tap a hole is while it is still aligned with the axis of the drill that made the hole. The pointed tap wrench guide thing was invented by a mutant with three hands. Piloted tap holders are commercially available but they eat up too much headroom when installed in the drill chuck. My solution was to make low profile tap wrenches with a built-in pilot that could be grasped in the drill chuck. A number of variants of this idea are described here...

Tap holders

The simplest of these has a fixed size hole to hold the tap which is secured with a set screw bearing on one flat of the square drive. Smaller taps have the same shank size...

Standard Tap Dimensions (ANSI Shanks) - Tapmatic Corporation

so this fixed hole size works well. For the larger taps, shank size varies so I made a tap handle that accepts collets to accommodate the various sizes. Since I knew I would need to made a number of collets, I chose the simplest design I could imagine. A bit of steel rod is drilled to a sliding fit on the tap shank. Then a bit of the rod is cut away to allow the setscrew to bear on the square drive.

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Jun 1, 2022), Paul Jones (Jun 4, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks rgsparber! We've added your Tap Holding Method to our Tapping and Threading category,
    as well as to your builder page: rgsparber's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    A clever and expedient technique but turning the chuck on my mill by hand doesn't work well with my 80 year old hands.

Like you, I decided that the best time to tap a hole is while it is still aligned with the axis of the drill that made the hole. The pointed tap wrench guide thing was invented by a mutant with three hands. Piloted tap holders are commercially available but they eat up too much headroom when installed in the drill chuck. My solution was to make low profile tap wrenches with a built-in pilot that could be grasped in the drill chuck. A number of variants of this idea are described here...

Tap holders

The simplest of these has a fixed size hole to hold the tap which is secured with a set screw bearing on one flat of the square drive. Smaller taps have the same shank size...

Standard Tap Dimensions (ANSI Shanks) - Tapmatic Corporation

so this fixed hole size works well. For the larger taps, shank size varies so I made a tap handle that accepts collets to accommodate the various sizes. Since I knew I would need to made a number of collets, I chose the simplest design I could imagine. A bit of steel rod is drilled to a sliding fit on the tap shank. Then a bit of the rod is cut away to allow the setscrew to bear on the square drive.
    Marv,

As usual, very well done solutions. They are both functional and great looking.

Thanks,

Rick
    Rick

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Jun 1, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

uv8452's Tools
    "...reasonably well centered." The geometry of centering a triangle to a square is not obvious. But I liked the surprise. Thank you for that! Perhaps I find an explanation.

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by uv8452 View Post
    "...reasonably well centered." The geometry of centering a triangle to a square is not obvious. But I liked the surprise. Thank you for that! Perhaps I find an explanation.
    This surprised me too which is why I ran that 6-32 tap all the way in to be sure it was true. A possible answer is in plain sight - the copper wire covered both the square and round part of the shank. The jaw compressed both. The jaws on the round part would center the tap.

Subsequently, I wanted to know if copper over just the round part of the shank was sufficient. I used the wire on a 1/4-20 tap. Then I drilled a #4 hole in the aluminum. With the tap tightly in the jaws, I had no trouble tapping in one inch with no slippage. I used a close fitting rod in one of the chuck's key holes to get the needed torque.

Since I can drive a 1/4-20 tap this way, I expect it will work on smaller taps too.

Rick
    Rick

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 4, 2022)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,789 Times in 11,325 Posts
    Congratulations rgsparber - your Tap Holding Method is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

Clever, simple, cheap, reusable, and minimalist - a great solution overall.

Some more nice tools from this week:

Small Pipe Welding Fixture by Frank S
    Mini Mill Motor Upgrade by Guy Marsden
    Demagnetizer by tonyfoale
    Powered Sheetmetal Shears by diy creative crafts
    Center Punch by RCTURKA
    Gib by Rustinox
    Bevel Square by ttmrj
    Heavy Wire Twister by orioncons36
    Vise by Kwandotechnic
    Wood Vise by Didpoolhall
    Bench Grinder by h7eh7e

rgsparber - We've added your tool entry to our All Homemade Tool of the Week winners post, and you'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and award choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

More importantly, this is your 10th Homemade Tool of the Week win! I've just added the golden wrench-on-pedestal graphic to the awards showcase in your postbit, visible underneath your avatar.

You join these seven other 10-time winners: rossbotics, Christophe Mineau, mklotz, Vyacheslav.Nevolya, Tuomas, tonyfoale, and Stevohdee. Congratulations again and good job

Here are all 10 of your Homemade Tool of the Week winning tools:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Jon; Nov 25, 2022 at 11:59 AM.

Thread Information