Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Stabilized turret on a 1952 British Centurion tank - GIF

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

high-side (Oct 6, 2019), IAMSatisfied (Oct 2, 2019), Miloslav (Oct 2, 2019), Seedtick (Oct 2, 2019), Tule (Oct 3, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Rorschach's Tools
    I was once given a demonstration of the Challenger 2 tank. The Tank started a good mile off on the ranges, we were asked if we could spot the tank as the commander on the radio told us we were a target lock. No-one present could spot the tank until they let off some smoke. The gun on the C2 also has an automatic stabilising system that stays on target. The tank then proceeded to basically charge at us, full speed across very rough terrain, at times using a smoke screen. While the tank bounced over the rough ground and down behind dips etc the gun never once moved from pointing straight at us, we looked right down the barrel the whole time until after a minute or so the tank came to stop a few metres of us. It was a powerful and terrifying demonstration of modern military technology.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    A bit more modern

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jdurand For This Useful Post:

greyhoundollie (Nov 19, 2019)

Supporting Member Paul Alciatore's Avatar
    Thanks

Paul Alciatore's Tools
    Shoot and scoot! That's what the Army does. And it is hard to do both at one time. But that can be a winner.

I remember back in the 60s the first time I saw a film of the Abrahams tank running over a washboard road, going up and down about 10 or 12 feet on every rise and fall in that road, but the gun barrel was pointing at the same angle through it all. It could scoot at a high speed and still aim the gun to shoot an accurate shot. Or, at least, that was what the film was implying. That was many years ago and computers were in their infancy. It is no wonder that the Abrahams is one of the top tanks in the world. I was completely amazed.
    Paul A.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I think you may have meant the 80s the first XM1 was going through trials in the mid to late 70s Before that it was the MBT70 undergoing the trials but you are correct in one sense there was a program as far back as 1965 a collaboration between Germany and the USA to develop the next generation tank something like 7 different hull and turret designs were put together and tested you could have been privy to one of those though. Here is an interesting though long read about the evolution of the Abrams
    M1 Abrams Main Battle Tank - Tanks Encyclopedia
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Hold my beer

Thanks
    Last century I got quite close and personal with Centurions, best gunnery tank of their era.
    Detuned RR Merlin (Meteor) power-plants were their weak point.
    In fact the the engine manual on the first page, made reference to being rather delicate
    for the use they were put to!
    The Israelis acquired quite a few and re-powered them with diesels.

Thanks
    Last century in another life I got quite intimate with Centurion tanks. The driver had two graduated spirit levels in his cockpit, indicating lateral & longitudinal status, as long as he keep within those parameters, no matter what direction he took, once the gun had been laid on a target and was reloaded, the target would be hit.
    It was a pity the transmission hadn't had the same degree of sophistication: Manual 6 speed transmission, A real shoulder smasher.Best way to change gears was to disengage the master clutch and one steering clutch, and good luck! Then thanks to LBJ, I discovered Yank tanks!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Isambard For This Useful Post:

ductape (May 13, 2023)

Thread Information