Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Swamp cooler trolly

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Swamp cooler trolly

The swamp cooler is next to impossible to move around without lifting it up with a forklift hardly convenient so I decided what I needed was a trolley with castors
    Swamp cooler trolly-wp_20200712_17_42_50_richc.jpg
    not bad copes for a chop saw
    Swamp cooler trolly-wp_20200713_15_17_33_richac.jpg
    Swamp cooler trolly-wp_20200714_09_50_58_richac.jpg

Swamp cooler trolly-wp_20200715_12_26_23_richsc.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    How many people know what a Swamp Cooler is.

Rick

2000 Tool Plans
    Rick

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post

Rick
    Me raises hand. Annual spring ritual getting up on the roof to clean and scrape everything, rewarded by the smell of wet aspen (for the first week at least! ) Although this year I was forced to use the blue plastic pads and so far I"m fairly well pleased by their efficacy. So far. Monsoon just (finally) hit here in Baja Arizona yesterday...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bruce.desertrat For This Useful Post:

baja (Jul 25, 2020)

Thanks
    Help a dude out,wtf is a swamp cooler some of us a bit slow here...OK now I see a big ass fan on wheels 2+2 = 5
    Last edited by trigger; Jul 24, 2020 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Saw the light

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by trigger View Post
    Help a dude out,wtf is a swamp cooler some of us a bit slow here...
    Pretty sure you may be joking LOL. But anyway a swamp cooler is a means of cooling ambient air by as much as 40°f by allowing water to flow over a medium usually shredded aspen fibers cardboard or a synthetic mat made out of very fine plastic fibers. the process is slightly different than an evaporative tower refrigeration system where in those the ambient air is drawn over wooden slats with water cascading down them this air is then forced through a thermal exchanger and returns to the tower another fluid is often pumped through tubes much the same as the Freon of a compressor air-conditioning system.
    Swamp coolers on the other hand draw the outside air over the wetted mats and blows it directly inside of the building. part of the reason they are called swamp coolers is there is often an odor associated with this process due to the high humidity created by the constant flow of moist cool air being circulated swamp or more accurately evaporative coolers work better in very low humidity environments and are rarely employed in regions where the relative humidity averages above 50% I grew up with them in our house, however in the summer time although the house would be much cooler than outside there was often a musty swampy smell sometimes mold might begin to grow in parts of the house where the air did not circulate well. We never paid it much attention just allow the house to air out for a couple of days with all of the windows open or mostly every night we would open all of the windows and shut off the coolers. Now days people would freak out at the thought of a trace of mold forming in their homes because they have been taught that it is deadly. Black mold is or can become deadly if allowed to go on for too long .

Thanks
    Was actually serious, where I come from not really a thing,but after looking at your pic eventually it dawned on me what it was and how it functions. Kind of waterbag hanging out the car window which is more Africa type high tec.Thanks for the tech update...now its LOL.;-)

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post

Rick
    In Australia they're called Evaporative Coolers and typically mounted on the roof of a house and ducted into the house. Not very common these days since split system aircon is coming down in price, and certain climates do not agree with increasing the humidity further.

Des

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    When I was a kid, long before we ever got our first swamp cooler ( evaporative cooler), we relied on a Mathes box fan sitting on the floor. the box fan cabinet was a piece of furniture actually, since it had a highly polished cabinet of Mahogany with inlay, the louvers were alternating teak and cherry. there was a place in the back of the cabinet to place a tray of ice. I didn't know it at the time but my grandfather had made the cabinet for the fan. it had a brass plaque with the mane of Mathes on the the lower front I always thought it was there noting that it belonged to him sine his name was Mathes, but actually that was the company that made the fans he wasn't directly related to Curtis Mathes' but had worked with him as a cabinet maker in the late 1940's as far as I know his fan with the ice tray may have been the only one ever made that way. From what an uncle told me When Curtis Mathes started making televisions he made one of their first cabinets for them.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce.desertrat View Post
    Me raises hand. Annual spring ritual getting up on the roof to clean and scrape everything, rewarded by the smell of wet aspen (for the first week at least! ) Although this year I was forced to use the blue plastic pads and so far I"m fairly well pleased by their efficacy. So far. Monsoon just (finally) hit here in Baja Arizona yesterday...
    Yup, it is certainly known in Arizona. I'm in Phoenix. When I first arrived here 19 years ago, I could not understand places that were almost too cold yet they had all of their windows and doors open. Swamp coolers are miserable when the Monsoons hit. But when it is 110F with 5% humidity, they are amazing.

Rick
    Rick

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Swamp Cooler Trolley to our Dollies and Stands category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information