Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Tadpole trike stands

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools

Tadpole trike stands

As usual I'm doing more of a mod/repurpose. I've recently converted over from my mt. bike to a tadpole trike.

Tadpole trike stands-ice-terratrike.jpg

I wish I'd had one all my life as it's put all the fun into riding again. More fun, less pain The blue one's mine and the green one's my SO's. Both were great CL's scores. But both had problems and needed service. I took a look at what I had and came up with this. I've bought and been sadly let down by all the tripod stands until I found the Jaw Stands. They are heavy duty, and the heads are unique. They tilt and are made to clamp 2x4"s.

So I took some scrap from my fence project, along with a frame from a dual roller HFT tripod that I'd tossed the flimsy frame when I got the Jaw Stands. This is the set for the green trike:

Tadpole trike stands-front-stand-out.jpg Tadpole trike stands-c-stands.jpg

in use:

Tadpole trike stands-front-support-c.jpgTadpole trike stands-rear-support-c.jpg

The two trikes needed different rear supports because one has suspension(the blue ICE) and the green Terratrike doesn't. The ICE has a hollow pivot for the rear suspension so I just use 3/4" conduit to go through the pivot. The piece of wood for the conduit is just there to make the clamp work. The two Jaw Stands are different models. One has a fine adjust on the height, the other doesn't. The ICE setup:

Tadpole trike stands-ice-stands.jpgTadpole trike stands-ice-rear-support.jpgTadpole trike stands-ice-stands.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

Jon (Feb 18, 2016), kbalch (Feb 19, 2016), Paul Jones (Feb 19, 2016), PJs (Feb 19, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Dec 15, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks C-Bag! We've added your Trike Stand to our Bicycle category, as well as to your builder page: C-Bag's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Jon; Oct 23, 2021 at 12:47 AM.

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Great setup C-Bag! Looks like you can do just about anything to them at a comfortable height. Those Jaw Stands are very cool, have to take a look for them...haven't seen those before but look real handy. Don't know much about those trikes and can't quite tell from the pics are the trikes front or rear wheel steering? Don't have many around here, see more standard recumbent style. Thanks for sharing! ~PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Thanks PJs. Around here tadpole trikes are taking over. There's a local dealer. The Senior bike club here started out with one trike a couple years ago and now there's only one regular bike. None of your standard tadpoles are rear steer, all front steer. That was one of the maintence probs was bent tie rods and these stands made all the difference to be able straighten the tie rod then doing the alignment. Also doing the lube and adjustment of the 27 gears.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Feb 20, 2016), PJs (Feb 19, 2016)

Thread Information