Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Thatching a roof - GIF and photo

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts

Thatching a roof - GIF and photo

Thatching a roof with a leggett.

Collection of thatching tools:

More:

https://www.thatchadvicecentre.co.uk...hatching-tools
    Thatching Tools & Equipment | Thatching Info.com

Previously: Roof snow removal tools - GIFs

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Jon; Sep 6, 2020 at 01:23 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Dec 30, 2017), Paul Jones (Jan 4, 2018), rlm98253 (Dec 30, 2017), Seedtick (Dec 30, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Dec 31, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Thatched roof dwellings offer an amazingly high insulation factor, and remarkably last for many years. Never saw one being professionally built whit straw thatch like in the video though.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

carloski (Jun 7, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    I live in the west country in the UK where there are a lot of beautiful thatched buildings, many are listed so will have to be re thatched, thatchers are premadonnas these days.
    There are downsides to having a thatched roof as my youngest son would testify, when a chimney fire nearby destroyed his cottage along with four others, they are also a haven for spiders and nesting birds but the biggest problem these days is obtaining insurance, the cost of which is going through the roof (sorry).

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

bukwessul (Dec 30, 2017), Paul Jones (Jan 4, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Dec 31, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Olderdan There are a host of plants which can be mixed in with the thatch straw to repel many insects and birds such as lemon grass, lemon thyme, basil , many of the other herbs as well, and leaves and stalks from some varieties of flowers, However like you stated thatchers can be premadonas. I dare say that trying to convince a team of them to intermingle a host of foreign plant stuffs to their thatching process would be like trying to get a ceder shake roofer to convert to steel. Here in the states in many areas everyone wants ceder roofs on their homes or another area they want asphalt shingles. both of which are in my opinion nothing but a temporary covering to keep out the elements. There are clay tile and natural slate tile roofs on buildings in parts of Europe which have even survived the ravages of 2 world wars. a hundred seasons of heavy snow fall and everything else which could rain down on them. the problem with using materials like those here in the states is the homes are build to shabbily withstand the weight. Even the million dollar homes are primarily nothing more than fancy stick built wooden shacks with brick cladding on them. My house like most everyone else's is nothing but a wood frame dwelling it has some kind of processed wood byproduct siding on it but at least I have a steel roof that one feature alone lowers my homeowner's insurance from that of what others have to pay.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

bukwessul (Dec 30, 2017), olderdan (May 4, 2020), Paul Jones (Jan 4, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Dec 31, 2017)

Thanks
    I wonder if Thatching could be treated with Borax like cellulose insulation is treated. Bugs hate it, mold won't grow in it, and though it may not be a fireproofer, it slows the burn rate to the point that it can be put out before it gets very far.

3 years ago the myself, my wife, our daughter, and my father-in-law bought a small farm. The main house is close to if not over, 100 years old (I know, young by UK standards). It has a metal roof, but the framing, ceiling, roof decking, and even the original siding(now covered with a modern vinyl) are all rough sawed Red Oak. The foundations are settling, and the floors are not quite level, but a hurricane couldn't blow it down.(Good thing too. We are at 1975 ft above sea level on a mountaintop and when it blows...brother it blows.)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Dutch drijfbord for thatching.

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...d_fullsize.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information