Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Things every man should have in his car - photo

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Somebody updated a very old diagram, as I chuckled when I saw the cell phone charger referenced. Who had business band radio back then in a passenger car? Even CB radios were not popular.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    There is an entire subreddit dedicated solely to vehicular EDC, with plenty of over-the-top examples in true internet form: https://old.reddit.com/r/VEDC/

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Jan 17, 2023), ranald (Jan 24, 2023), rlm98253 (Jan 17, 2023), tuchie (Jan 22, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    The middle picture in post #12 looks like a bug out vehicle
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

WorkerB (Jan 23, 2023)

Thanks

piper184's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    100% agree, if you use them for general winter snow removal, the front edge will erode from scrapping concrete, so thickness is important, as well the quality is probably a harder aluminum alloy. I don't trust the plastic ones to not shatter in the cold.

Also note, if you ever have to put out a grass fire (snuff the fire out with the flat bottom), they work good if your boots or shoes can walk on the surface without melting (or attack from the upwind side). The aluminum pulls the heat out and gets the temp below vaporization. I learned that from a friends aunt, that wanted her pasture burned off in the spring.
    We had that 1966 blizzard in SD too. Looked about the same way there. Steel grain scoops were the order of the day. We shoveled coal for the furnace with ours. Aluminum ones were too expensive. In 1983 when we got our first house I splurged and bought an aluminum scoop. I knew it would wear out on the concrete driveway so I bolted a steel cutting edge to the bottom. (I didn't know about cutting edges on heavy equipment until later). Over the years I have replaced that edge twice but the scoop still looks new. It has outlasted two plastic scoops.

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by piper184 View Post
    We had that 1966 blizzard in SD too.
    My dad grew up on a farm near Yankton, Tabor. Spoke Czech until the 6th grade. He took a job up in ND 1955 cold war building of the GFAFB. I remember many long drives down US81, long before I29.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    There is an entire subreddit dedicated solely to vehicular EDC, with plenty of over-the-top examples in true internet form:
    Missing pair of *10 cans filled with premixed wheelwell mud.
    Or is it just me?
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    What about things every woman should have in her car... in the 1960's.

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Do not carry cat litter (kitty litter shown in the trunk of the 69 Dodge Charger) as a friction surface 'improver'. It is made from bentonite clay. When wet it is a super slippery surface. When people spin their tires on snow and ice, it melts it, resulting in a water film that has near zero friction coefficient. Clay is not going to make that better.
    They have bags of sand for just this purpose at my home supply. Also sand box sand in plastic bags is the same thing. For some the extra weight in the rear of their car is an added bonus. Pickup trucks with no load are dangerous on the road as they spin their tires, and drift all over the roadway.
    I've never had good traction from Mud and Snow rated tires, as they are still passenger type. So I have a change out of wheels with real snow and ice tires mounted. I've had good luck with the Firestone Winterforce brand, but my current autos are using Sumitomo Ice Edge, they are affordable and make all the difference in winter operating on compacted snow and ice. We get freezing rain during some parts of the winter here. I much prefer it just staying too damn cold for that, where I grew up in ND, it was too cold to use salt to remove ice, which was good for the auto rust wise.
    The other difficulty is driving in non compacted snow, and the wider the tire is, the less friction as they 'float' on top the fresh snow, vs. a narrow tire that cuts through the snow, i.e. plows it out of the way. So I look for the narrowest tire possible when purchasing snow tires, which also helps in hydroplaning on water.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    Somebody updated a very old diagram, as I chuckled when I saw the cell phone charger referenced. Who had business band radio back then in a passenger car? Even CB radios were not popular.
    Dad had CB radios, and then Ham radios in his car in the 60's. Never had a Charger, though. Mid-60's Ford Econoline Van, and a Plymouth Valiant are the ones I remember.

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    I was in Horrible Fright the other day, and found the shovel for $22.
    Things every man should have in his car - photo-shovel.jpg

Inside Track members $18.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information