Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Third world muffler fabrication - GIF

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Okay I actually understand the newspaper. It's so he won't get a sunburn on his face.

About 20 years ago a neighbour got drunk and put his four wheeler through the ice. It sat at the bottom of a salt water lake for a week. He got it running again, but the bottom of the frame rotted out completely from all the salt water that had basically filled the tubular frame. So I was doing a really delicate welding job trying to repair the frame and make it look good with a terrible little AC arc welder. It was delicate work and I didn't want to keep raising and lowering the shield, so I took the lens out and just held it in one hand as I welded. My eyes were protected by the rest of my face was not. I went in to work the next day and one of my coworkers said I looked like a lobster.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

ductape (Mar 29, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

ductape's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    Okay I actually understand the newspaper. It's so he won't get a sunburn on his face.

About 20 years ago a neighbour got drunk and put his four wheeler through the ice. It sat at the bottom of a salt water lake for a week. He got it running again, but the bottom of the frame rotted out completely from all the salt water that had basically filled the tubular frame. So I was doing a really delicate welding job trying to repair the frame and make it look good with a terrible little AC arc welder. It was delicate work and I didn't want to keep raising and lowering the shield, so I took the lens out and just held it in one hand as I welded. My eyes were protected by the rest of my face was not. I went in to work the next day and one of my coworkers said I looked like a lobster.
    A lot of retinas took a lot of abuse before auto-darkening weld helmets became readily available around 2005 or so to those making a welder's salary. They are one of the most useful things invented in the past few years.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ductape For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Mar 29, 2023), piper184 (Mar 29, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ductape View Post
    A lot of retinas took a lot of abuse before auto-darkening weld helmets became readily available around 2005 or so to those making a welder's salary. They are one of the most useful things invented in the past few years.
    Auto darkening helmets are right up there with sliced bread. When they first came out most of my buddies who were welders wouldn't use them. Buncha Luddites. I jumped on the auto darkening bandwagon pretty fast. It was a game changer.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mansworld View Post
    Light gauge metal muffler won't last for long.
    A Donaldson muffler for a truck is made out of 22 gage the tubes are 16ga so there's probably not a whole lot of difference.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    Auto darkening helmets are right up there with sliced bread. When they first came out most of my buddies who were welders wouldn't use them. Buncha Luddites. I jumped on the auto darkening bandwagon pretty fast. It was a game changer.
    I bought my first auto dark hood sometime around 1999 it was called the speed glass, or something like that, cost nearly $400.00 but I still had it all the way until somewhere around. 2008

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information