Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Three ways to dressing a grinding wheel without special jigs

Thanks

Mazay's Tools

Lightbulb Three ways to dressing a grinding wheel without special jigs

How to dress a grinding wheel?

Three ways to dressing a grinding wheel without special jigs-how-dress-grinding-wheel.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mazay For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Sep 14, 2021), asterix (Sep 19, 2021), bill1943 (Sep 14, 2021), carloski (Sep 19, 2021), drivermark (Sep 13, 2021), Home-PC (Sep 13, 2021), Jon (Sep 16, 2021), lassab999 (Sep 14, 2021), Moldyjim (Sep 14, 2021), NortonDommi (Sep 13, 2021), nova_robotics (Sep 17, 2021), Slim-123 (Sep 23, 2021), Stevohdee (Sep 19, 2021), wolfpaak (Sep 14, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Mazay! We've added your Grinding Wheel Dressing Method to our Grinding category,
    as well as to your builder page: Mazay's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    why not leave the white wheel turning under power when touching the diamond disc?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by desbromilow View Post
    why not leave the white wheel turning under power when touching the diamond disc?
    I think what may have been happening was the switch kept switching off by itself
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Handy tips. Thanks. Another tool is a broken piece of that dud wheel you replaced. Defective wheels get broken so they cannot be mounted but the bit can be useful for many things.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NortonDommi For This Useful Post:

Mazay (Sep 14, 2021)

Thanks

JeffEck's Tools
    You don't have to use a diamond concrete wheel, you can use an ordinary grinding stone as well. It gets dusty, but you don't need to turn the grinder off to work, done it many times with power on.....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffEck For This Useful Post:

Mazay (Sep 14, 2021)

Thanks

Mazay's Tools
    I think that at the beginning of processing, when the out-of-roundness is large, you need to start this way - I suppose it is safer than running at high revs.

Thanks
    I like the diamond wheel dressing method.
    I've used star lock washers to do the same thing in the past when the Desmond dresser was too worn and the boss wouldn't buy replacement disks.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,142 Times in 615 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    The diamond grinding wheel dressers you can get off of Amazon work really, really good. You can obliterate a few millimeters of stone diameter in just a few seconds. You can pick them up off of Amazon for about $15.

The lock washers are a neat trick. I've never seen that one before.

Thanks

Cool

Brilliant. And especially the lock washers. Basically, you just made a Desmond-style dresser, there, so cool! (I googled a little, and saw another video where someone used a piece of thread-rod with a couple of nuts on either end to retain the lock-washers, rather than just put them on a spade-bit, but whatever.) And love the little 'joggly drill-bit' test-for-true, on both face and sides. This SO demonstrates so many ways of clear, smart, simple thinking -- triumphing over Buying New Stuff. :-)

As tennis pioneer Arthur Ashe said, in a totally different domain, but I love this: "Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can." Good advice for life, but also for the shop. :-) I just love "hacks", and especially when they make me sit back and appreciate good clear thinking. This was just full of them - as well as really good, thoughtful presentation! - so thank you.

And definitely want to reinforce the wearing a face shield (cute how you "put it on" (over the camera)). If you're dressing an old, out-of-true wheel, the risk is significantly higher of it actually having let's say "integrity failure", "mitosis" -- i.e. "experiencing transformation from one to more-than-one piece rapidly" -- at 1725 rpms, towards you.... I supposed I could calculate the rim speed of that for a 6" Ø wheel if I really tried to remember high school geometry, then add in momentum or something for a given weight hunk from physics class, but let's just go with "fast" and "bad", respectively. >;-) Wear yer shield (not just goggles; shield) - unless you think facial scars are "colorful".
    Last edited by ACinSV; Sep 18, 2021 at 11:32 AM.

Thread Information